What current players will be great coaches? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What current players will be great coaches?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby puckyou21 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:00 pm

'Roid Rage wrote:I guess Mike Matheny is no longer a current player but I think he would make an excellent coach.

He was the first name I thought of when I saw the subject.
"He who forgets will be destined to remember" -Ed Vedder
puckyou21
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:12 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:Mike Redmond of the Twins will make a very good coach. It's something that he wants to do and most likely will do in the near future.

That's a good one. A couple other backup catchers that could be coaches are Damian Miller and Doug Mirabelli.

I don't think big name players would be good coaches, and you don't see many. I would think it would be tough to teach players how to play when it came pretty easy to the coach. A few other variables would probably be detrimental to a star player being a good coach or manager. They'd have to deal with mediocre results, and come to terms with losing (Not accepting it, but being able to handle it the right way) both qualities which I don't think many great players have. They are great qualities for a player but not the best traits for a manager and definitely not good for a coach trying to teach players.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 84)

Postby j24jags » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:18 pm

I definitely agree with the Lo Duca/Julio Franco statements.

Another guy I'd throw out there is Kris Benson, he took very very comprehensive notes on all the hitters he's ever faced and I'm pretty sure he's a smart guy.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby thedude » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:29 pm

Jason Varitek. Great leader and a very smart baseball man.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bellybrother » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:11 pm

On the subject of current coaches who were catchers.......Ned Yost, Melvin for Zona was a catcher for awhile I think and a year late, but Girardi. I think the AL's been covered. I'd think there'd be more in the NL. Some 2nd basemen, Garner, Randolph.............
bellybrother
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby thedude » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:42 pm

bellybrother wrote:On the subject of current coaches who were catchers.......Ned Yost, Melvin for Zona was a catcher for awhile I think and a year late, but Girardi. I think the AL's been covered. I'd think there'd be more in the NL. Some 2nd basemen, Garner, Randolph.............

Grady Little was a minor league catcher.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby sportsaddict » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:45 pm

'Roid Rage wrote:I guess Mike Matheny is no longer a current player but I think he would make an excellent coach.

Funny you say that because the second I saw this thread's title that's the first guy I thought of. I guess being a Cards fan I got to see him do a very good job handling the pitching staff and just being a good, intelligent baseball player.

I think catchers for sure make the best managers, just because they are basically field generals for the team. They are essentially the coach on the field.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby IVIisfits138 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:14 pm

rich101682 wrote:Matt Riley.

Dude can handle the hype.

I highly doubt one can juggle being a MLB coach and the President of the United States at the same time, which is in near future.
Do Work
IVIisfits138
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Thursday » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:17 pm

As soon as i read this thread title, Craig Biggio popped into my head, for some reason. Great thread!
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby otp73 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:19 am

Thursday wrote:As soon as i read this thread title, Craig Biggio popped into my head, for some reason. Great thread!

That's incredible!!!!

I was thinking the same person.

Here's a few others:

David Eckstein

Moises Alou

Greg Maddux

John Smoltz

Chipper Jones
otp73
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor