Josh Hamilton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Josh Hamilton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Josh Hamilton

Postby fantasysports » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:01 am

I know he doesn't have a roster spot with the outfield alredy filled up in Cincy. But he's hitting the ball with authority.

Another homer tonight.

What do you think of him?
fantasysports
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jacopo2155 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:53 am

im pretty sure that narron is going to ride him while hes hot. as long as he keeps hitting, he will have to find a spot for him
Ezekiel 25:17
jacopo2155
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jswede » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:52 pm

Adam Dunn called him in '99 or so, the best player he'd ever seen. When asked again during this pre-season, he said "he still is".

While I was watching the game last night, the announcers said all his teammates use superlatives when they talk about him (ie fastest, strongest, quickest, best etc on the team).

I'm loving getting this guy off the ww. He could be huge as soon as Griffey pulls a hammy.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JoshExley » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:55 pm

jswede wrote:the announcers said all his teammates use superlatives when they talk about him (ie fastest, strongest, quickest, best etc on the team).

It's part of his healing process. To make him feel like a winner. To gain self-esteem.

No way he is the fastest, strongest, or quickest.
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jswede » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:18 pm

Josh Hamilton is an absolutely ripped 6'4", 235lb.

At 6'4", the only guys taller than him are a few pitchers and Dunn.

At 235, only Dunn and Harang have more weight. and it's not in the right spots.

Freel is probably faster, but I doubt by much, and I'd bet money Josh is the strongest.

Here's what Dunn said: "I worked out with him before he was drafted in 1999, and he was the best baseball player I ever saw, and still is."
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby 1010011010 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:50 pm

Does this guy steal much? I'm thinking about dropping Victorino for him if he can swipe some bags for me.
College Coach
College Coach

Postby benjapage » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:11 pm

given equal playing time, i think he and vic could have about 25-30 sb.

but vic has the job. ham doesn't.

b

edit: hamilton's power dwarf's that of vic, and i suppose his average would, as well. yet, and again, vic has the job. ham doesn't.

b*
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Per KFFL

Postby Bosy Billups » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:12 am

Apr 12:

C. Trent Rosenhaus, of The Cincinnati Post, reports Cincinnati Reds OF Josh Hamilton will remain in the lineup and get more at-bats. "We've got to get him on the field with what he's done," Reds manager Jerry Narron said. "The spring he had, the at-bats he's having right now. He looks like he belongs there. It's not going to be easy playing four outfielders, but we'll do what we can do."
Bosy Billups
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby B-Chad » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:23 am

I'm a fan of Josh Hamilton as a player... and though I've tempered my expectations in to this point I think it's time to get on and enjoy the ride. The fact is... this guy DOES have the tools. It can't be forgotten this guy was hands down the consensus number one pick in his draft class. That in itself should tell you this guy has the tools when you consider the guy picked behind him that year was Josh Beckett. Tools don't always translate to big league success... but they do translate to many chances. Considering Hamilton can't be sent to the minors without either the D-Rays or maybe all of major league baseball able to claim him (I believe that's how rule V picks work) it would be in the Reds best interests to make the most of him being on the big league team and use him. Though the outfield is pretty set, it'll be difficult for Narron to sit Hamilton if he is outperforming others in the OF. That said he obviously won't keep up this pace, and will get his days off for sure. Also, Griffey is an injury liability and so is Freel with his boom or bust all out play. Finally, is Scott Hatteberg so invaluable to the Reds that if all 4 outfielders are playing well they can't move Dunn to first and play Hamilton, Freel, Griffey in the outfield... it's certainly not Dunn's fielding exploits that are keeping him out there. Also take into consideration Freel's versatility as he could spell Encarnacion at third. Basically, I think Hamilton is worth owning in most 12 team leagues or deeper as he's already displaying good patience even after being removed from baseball for a few years. He's a low risk guy with high reward potential, ride his hot streaks and when he's playing, bench or cut him when he's not, but playing in the Reds home ballpark with the combo of power and speed he has... he could be a very serviceable contributor.
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Taters » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:52 am

Great post B-Chad. I didn't know anything about this guy until reading this thread. So I looked and hes out in the FA pool in two of my leagues. Both are 12 team leagues with 6x6 and 7x7 cats. So who should get the ax if I roll the dice with this guy. For space reasons I'm not going to list both of my teams. I will give you my OF postion players and utl and/or bench players from each team.

Team 1
LF Holliday
CF Griffey
RF Giles
OF CB Young
Utl C Jones
Utl C Jackson
Utl K Matsui
DL H Matsui

Young, Matsui, or Jackson will go when Hideki comes off DL.

Team 2

OF Soriano
OF Holliday
OF D Young
Utl Iwamura
Bn Helton

I don't want to drop any of my pitchers on any team. As you can see I don't like to carry bench postion players. I flood the pitching cats and sometimes go for the quanty over quality. So any insight would be great. Or is this part time player just on a hot streak and were all just chasing box scores?
Image<thanks alec03
Move over Mantle and Maris, the new blood is here!!
Taters
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates