Got a question for the Cafe- What happened to Bud Smith? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Got a question for the Cafe- What happened to Bud Smith?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Got a question for the Cafe- What happened to Bud Smith?

Postby sportsaddict » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:28 pm

What in the world happened to this guy? I believe it was 01 when he threw a no hitter for the Cards, and then we traded him and Polanco for Rolen (There were others in the deal I think but I can't remember).

So what in the heck happened to this guy? Anyone know? :-?
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:37 pm

Baseball-reference.com wrote:June 2, 1998: Drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 4th round of the 1998 amateur draft. Player signed June 3, 1998.

July 29, 2002: Traded by the St. Louis Cardinals with Placido Polanco and Mike Timlin to the Philadelphia Phillies for Scott Rolen, Doug Nickle, and cash.

October 15, 2004: Granted Free Agency.

December 14, 2004: Signed as a Free Agent with the Minnesota Twins.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Payne Dailey » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:39 pm

3/16/2007

Long Beach Armada sells Contract of Bud Smith to Diamondbacks
8th Armada Pitcher in the Last Two Years to go to an MLB Team

(Pleasanton, CA. March 16, 2007) The Golden Baseball League is pleased to announce that LHP Bud Smith’s contract has been sold to the Arizona Diamondbacks. Smith is the eighth pitcher of the Long Beach Armada, and tenth overall, to have his contract acquired by a major league organization. Depending on how he does in spring training he will most likely start the year with the AAA Tucson Sidewinders.

Smith, 27, was a fourth round pick of the St. Louis Cardinals out of high school in the 1998 amateur draft. He rocketed through the minor leagues, winning AA Texas League Pitcher of the Year, and debuted in the second half of 2001 in the big leagues with St. Louis. He went 6-3 and was fourth in the Rookie of the Year voting, but most notably, he became the 18th rookie in major league history to throw a no-hitter as he blanked the San Diego Padres 4-0 on September 3rd. However, in 2002 arm troubles began and he underwent three surgeries on his left shoulder (labrum, labrum, rotator cuff) in the next three years. Returning home to southern California for rehabilitation after being released, he joined the Long Beach Armada last season and returned to his early career form as he posted a 2.70 E.R.A in 10 starts, including one complete game, under the tutelage of Long Beach pitching coach, and former member of the Detroit Tigers 1968 championship team, Jon Warden.

"Bud was cutting loose with his fast ball and really came on strong by the end of the season," says Warden. "I’m not surprised he’s been acquired by Arizona as he was drawing tremendous interest from scouts, and could be back in a major league uniform very soon.”

longbeacharmada
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers