The Official Delmon Young Superstar Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Official Delmon Young Superstar Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Official Delmon Young Superstar Thread

Postby duckbillgates » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:45 am

Yeah, I know, it's early. Still, getting hits in his first seven games (including a couple of homers) is encouraging, right?

No steals yet, but he's attempted a couple. And it would be nice if he moved into that No. 3 slot in the lineup, but beggars can't be choosers.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:49 am

I'm encouraged! ;-D

I'm playing matchups between him and Burrell right now as my #3 outfielder. If he keeps it up and Giambi keeps struggling, Young will become a mainstay and I'll play matchups with Giambi and Burrell instead.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Athrun340 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:30 am

Im not a hardcore fantasy baseball player so i really dont know much about young guys ..

im really suprised where these youngs guys came from .. that hamel guy is pretty good anyway back to the topic .. what kind of a player delmon young is? i heard his name last year but thats about it .. then i accidentally drafted him in the 7th this year .. lol time was out dunno who to pick hehe

is he a homerun guy? speedy guy? what ..
Athrun340
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:37 am

Athrun340 wrote:Im not a hardcore fantasy baseball player so i really dont know much about young guys ..

im really suprised where these youngs guys came from .. that hamel guy is pretty good anyway back to the topic .. what kind of a player delmon young is? i heard his name last year but thats about it .. then i accidentally drafted him in the 7th this year .. lol time was out dunno who to pick hehe

is he a homerun guy? speedy guy? what ..

He is a 5 tool player. He is one of the top two prospects in baseball (was 1 last year until he was surpassed in some people's opinion by Alex Gordon). He should be putting up monster numbers a couple of years down the line. This year i expect modest power and steals numbers to go along with a solid batting average.
Last edited by thedude on Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Giambis » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:18 am

He's definitely a good prospect, but is very young, so expect some ups and down. He's capable of a .300 average, but I'm projectinh him only for about 20 homeruns and 15 steals (at least until he learns how to run on some of the guys here, he has been thrown out by a mile on his attempts).
Still concerned about his walks, he won't get many, but unless you play in an ops/obp league, that won't affect him too much. And the runs and rbis are tough to project, because I keep hoping the D-Rays move him up in the lineup.
Giambis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:06 pm

His steals are not going to be what people thought they were. There was talk of maybe 30-40 SB, but i just don't see it. He will get 15-20, and should have some nice HR. He does not like to walk though :-b
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)

Postby thedude » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:25 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:His steals are not going to be what people thought they were. There was talk of maybe 30-40 SB, but i just don't see it. He will get 15-20, and should have some nice HR. He does not like to walk though :-b

I don't think many outside of Florida predicted 30 steals.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby houstonoilers » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:28 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:His steals are not going to be what people thought they were. There was talk of maybe 30-40 SB, but i just don't see it. He will get 15-20, and should have some nice HR. He does not like to walk though :-b

makes an rbi guru

he is a 30-20 maybe one day 40-20 potential guy with a batting average around .300

noy to hyjak but aki and young should be batting 2,3 with their early production

love the fact they are givin dukes playin time while baldelli is slowly recovering
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Athrun340 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:52 pm

so basically hes a jason bay type of player?

ill trade him now so i can get ichiro ;-D
Athrun340
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby IllinoisBandit » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:59 pm

Has anyone looked at his brother lately? If that body type is genetic I'd expect his steals to be non-existent here pretty soon.

But other than that I've been buying this guy's BA and HR potential for a long time.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers