Keep an eye on Mike MacDougal after tonight? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Keep an eye on Mike MacDougal after tonight?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:45 am

If you're in a deep league, have the room, and are hurting for saves, maybe stash him...otherwise, I honestly think you're wasting a roster spot. Jenks has the stuff to close, and one bad outing is not going to make them switch closers. Guillen kept him in all of last year even when he wasn't doing very good...they were winning; that's all that matters to him.

Seriously...I think some of you guys are a little too insane about grabbing new closers this year!!! :-o
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby d18Mike » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:36 am

As everyone in CHI knows, Ozzie is about the most impulsive manager in baseball. Remember, he was complaining about Jenks as Spring Training wound down and questioning his readiness for the role.

History shows that about 1/3+ of the closer roles on opening day turnover by the end of the year. And it has happened in a lot better pitchers than Jenks. I'd say he's safe today but not rock solid by any means. With the exception of the elite (Mo, K-Rod, Ryan, Nathan), most closers are 3-4 consecutive bad outings away from at least a temporary removal.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:06 am

d18Mike wrote:As everyone in CHI knows, Ozzie is about the most impulsive manager in baseball. Remember, he was complaining about Jenks as Spring Training wound down and questioning his readiness for the role.

History shows that about 1/3+ of the closer roles on opening day turnover by the end of the year. And it has happened in a lot better pitchers than Jenks. I'd say he's safe today but not rock solid by any means. With the exception of the elite (Mo, K-Rod, Ryan, Nathan), most closers are 3-4 consecutive bad outings away from at least a temporary removal.

totally agree...but he's only had 1 so far...and he looked lights out against the Twins the other day
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby hot4tx » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:14 am

He had a very high ERA for a closer last year. Ozzie doesn't trust him much. I'm not saying to run out and grab MacDougal right now, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

It didn't take many blown saves for Lidge to lose his job this year, mostly because his ERA and HRs allowed last year was so high.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Re: Keep an eye on Mike MacDougal after tonight?

Postby mikhayl » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:13 pm

kemper5 wrote:All I know is in Spring Training Jenks looked horrible (7 ER in 9 ip) and some wispers began of how he may be hiding something.

Jenks hides hoagies out in the bullpen.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:05 pm

hot4tx wrote:He had a very high ERA for a closer last year. Ozzie doesn't trust him much. I'm not saying to run out and grab MacDougal right now, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

It didn't take many blown saves for Lidge to lose his job this year, mostly because his ERA and HRs allowed last year was so high.

Link?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby hot4tx » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:17 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
hot4tx wrote:Ozzie doesn't trust him much.

Link?

I think he's been pretty consistently open since Spring 2006 that he has concerns about Jenks... here's a few links on the subject...

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/heraldnews/sports/308086,4_2_JO22_SOX_S1.article

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/wsfb/news/index.jsp?action=locate&pid=408057

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/bobby_jenks/index.html

http://soxmachine.com/blogs/meet_the_sox/articles/2305.aspx

http://www.kffl.com/player/8865/mlb

http://msn.foxsports.com/fantasy/story/6611188?print=true

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060323&content_id=1360629&vkey=spt2006news&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/news/story?id=2807109

Again I'm not saying "JENKS WILL LOSE HIS JOB", but with last year's horrible ERA for a closer, Ozzie's quick hook for any player not performing, MacDougal and Thornton behind him, and Ozzie's public concern/distrust/dislike for the guy... I'd definitely say it's one to keep an eye on.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Guzman24 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:38 pm

would you drop either patterson or cameron for some insurance on Jenks. I have Quentin backing up in my OF when he comes off the DL and O.Perez and Greinke on my bench as SP's

Damn 2nd rate closers. I have Zumaya on my bench backing up Jones too :~(
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby activechamp2006 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:43 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
hot4tx wrote:He had a very high ERA for a closer last year. Ozzie doesn't trust him much. I'm not saying to run out and grab MacDougal right now, but it's worth keeping an eye on.

Comparing Lidge to Jenks? I really don't think that's a fair assertion. Lidge has been given many chances to keep his job but he just keeps making the organization regret it. Jenks has had one season experience as the teams full time closer. Jenks did a decent job last season while saving 41 games, and was amazing in the first half of the season saving 26 games to go a long with a 2.83 era.
Until Jenks blows 7 saves in a row he is going to keep his job. Even then I doubt he loses it. The kid has way 2 much talent to lose his job to Mike Macdougal, haha. !+)

Jenks owners should not be worried the last bit, he struggled in one game. Big deal.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JTWood » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:02 pm

Are you kidding? Jenks had one bad game. When he has three in a row, then you can start picking up MacDougal. If you have no closers, then you grab MacDougal now, start a thread about how Jenks is done, trade MacDougal while he's overvalued, and laugh yourself to the bank.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers