"Every owner woke up with his franchise worth $40 mil more" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

"Every owner woke up with his franchise worth $40 mil more"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

"Every owner woke up with his franchise worth $40 mil more"

Postby wrveres » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:34 am

Interesting read in the USA Today about the new baseball channel.

Brosnan says MLB's channel could air games from Japanese baseball leagues and the minors. And MLB, he says, owns about 300,000 hours of games and other programming. "So what's wrong with a Mickey Mantle week? Or a Ted Williams week?"

I would really love to see more minor league games. I truly think MLB misses the boat when it come to promoting their minor leagues. Televised winter ball? that would be sweet. I wouldn't even care if it wasn't live. Good things can come of this. Oh and yes, the owners just got richer, but don't be expecting Arod in your backyard soon. If you sign him you won't have any money to sign Meche for 10 million per.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:35 am

Awesome news. I'll go a step further than you and say that the MLB does a sub-par job on promoting their product in general. This is certainly a step in the right direction, though.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Re: "Every owner woke up with his franchise worth $40 mil more&quo

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:52 am

wrveres wrote:Interesting read in the USA Today about the new baseball channel.

Brosnan says MLB's channel could air games from Japanese baseball leagues and the minors. And MLB, he says, owns about 300,000 hours of games and other programming. "So what's wrong with a Mickey Mantle week? Or a Ted Williams week?"

I would really love to see more minor league games. I truly think MLB misses the boat when it come to promoting their minor leagues. Televised winter ball? that would be sweet. I wouldn't even care if it wasn't live. Good things can come of this. Oh and yes, the owners just got richer, but don't be expecting Arod in your backyard soon. If you sign him you won't have any money to sign Meche for 10 million per.

i couldn't tell from the article, is the MLB Channel going to be on regular TV or only Direct TV
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 36)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wrveres » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:18 am

deerayfan072 wrote:

i couldn't tell from the article, is the MLB Channel going to be on regular TV or only Direct TV

Regular TV. It'll be a standard cable channel just like the NFL network and the NBA network.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:20 am

wrveres wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

Regular TV. It'll be a standard cable channel just like the NFL network and the NBA network.

Awesome. This def made my evening better. ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 36)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:47 am

Stunning that MLB has to wait until after the NFL and NBA do this to realize that they've got TONS of very marketable stuff just sitting around....
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazing Oopah » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:09 am

huh? They just figured out NOW they could air classic footage of some of the game's greatest players? :-?
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby jfg » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:18 am

I don't think NBA TV is available to me unless I subscribe to the NBA game package. The NFL network is though. I'm a Comcast subscriber. Do think MLB will be the former or the latter?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 95)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:35 am

Well, some good came from MLB and the EI fiasco. Without MLB forcing In-Demand to take the MLB channel to get EI, this stays with DirecTV only as well. Of course, not all cable companies were part of the In-Demand deal, so not all will get the MLB channel. I'm hoping as I get EI, I'll also get the channel.

If I have to pay for crap channels on "basic" tier that I never watch (i.e. Lifetime, Oprah, etc.) it is about time some of those viewers pay for a channel I will.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Amazinz » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:47 pm

The MLB will be on TW's basic tier last I read. You won't need EI to get it either. Lot can change from now to '09 though.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers