How is Morneau a HUGE upgrade over Giambi? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How is Morneau a HUGE upgrade over Giambi?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How is Morneau a HUGE upgrade over Giambi?

Postby angels7777 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:49 pm

Besides AVG, their stats are pretty comparable and given Giambi's track record, why is Morneau so much more regarded? He basically has had one great season, a good one, and a crappy one while Giambi is pretty consistent, although he is a bit older.

Plus you take into account that Giambi is almost certain to put up good numbers in a stacked NY lineup...
Last edited by angels7777 on Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 63)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby godallahstar » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:54 pm

because with giambi you know what you're getting,
and with morneau there is still some people clinging and choking the hope that he can be a .300+ hitter

i am not one of them
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:06 pm

You can really say this about alot of players and have similar comparisons. If you're in 12 team leagues or smaller than most everyone you start isn't going to be too much different than what everyone else has at the same position. All you need to know is Morneau > Giambi
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby blankman » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:09 pm

Giambi's average will kill you. Its getting to be like Dunn.

He walks a lot so he won't have as many official at bats to bring your average down, but he hasn't hit for average in years.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby hot4tx » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:27 pm

Also factor in that Giambi is more of an injury risk when you factor in age and the fact that he hasn't has 500 at bats since 2003.

That plus the difference in average (even if the .320 was a career year for Morneau he should hit at the least near .290) plus the RBIs (mostly due to Giambi not getting the same amount of at bats) plus Morneau is 25 right now, so we may not have seen his ceiling.

It all adds up to Morneau > Giambi

However, I do think Giambi is being underrated for where he ends of being drafted. Of course 1B is so deep and that's part of the reason he falls so much.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby fbc_fan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:47 pm

blankman wrote:Giambi's average will kill you. Its getting to be like Dunn.

He walks a lot so he won't have as many official at bats to bring your average down, but he hasn't hit for average in years.

agreed. in fact i was just about to post that asking this particular question is like asking why is manny better than dunn since both will hit you 40+ dingers. other production stats aside anyways. its a bit of an extreme example, but in the same vein.

depending on league size though, i wouldn't mind starting giambi. i'd prefer to start morneau, but if i had a choice between morneau and a better player, i would just take the better player at that point in teh draft and pick up giambi later to play 1b for me. nothing wrong with that at all.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NZF » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:16 pm

A 40-50 point BA difference is huge as is the fact that Giambi sits a number of games throughout the year which further hurts his value.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Noggy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:47 pm

I'm not quite sure Giambi is at Dunn's level. Giambi was dinged up last season and considering the Yankees have two other guys splitting time at 1st, I think he'll be off the field DHing a lot, and therefore be less dinged up. He should get more at bats and I think he can get his average up to about .265 - .270, which is good enough and not much worse than I have Morneau projected to hit.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tokugawa » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:26 pm

What's wrong with being at Dunn's level, Dunn is batting over .300! ;-D
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

Postby blankman » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:39 pm

NZF wrote:A 40-50 point BA difference is huge as is the fact that Giambi sits a number of games throughout the year which further hurts his value.

Don't expect him to miss nearly as many games this year now that he's a full-time DH.

I could happen, but I would expect better durability from him now that he's just hitting.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers