Jermaine Dye's slow start (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jermaine Dye's slow start (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby J35J » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:50 am

I'd be surprised if he doesn't go.... .280-.285/30-33/110 this year. He was a very solid player for KC, then he breaks his leg and it takes him a couple years to fully comeback and now that he is healthy he should be fine. Last year was obviously his career year and something he most likely won't come close to again (as was already mentioned) but he is a very solid hitter.....always has been when fully healthy.

So if you didn't expect alot more than my stats above you should be fine but if you expected closer to last years numbers then you will be disappointed.

He is what he is.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TurdFerguson » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:00 am

OMG its been one freaking week.I have never seen so many people jumping ship after 1 week. Dye will still put up solid numbers..280-.290
30-35 100-110 is the stat line I think he will end up with.I don't know to many people that thought he would repeat last years numbers but he is still a solid #2 OF.JD Drew wont sniff 30 HR..
Last edited by TurdFerguson on Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:01 am

You know I predicted that these threads would pop up :-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:10 am

Mookie4ever wrote:You know I predicted that these threads would pop up :-D

I've always said that they would, myself.

Even before he had that incredible year, I knew he'd have it and then he'd regress to the mean.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J35J » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:12 am

Happens every year and the more you tell people to chill the more the threads keep popping up. I'm kinda numb to them anymore though they do get old real fast. Ahhh well what can you do?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby BigMusky » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:18 am

someone dropped him in my league...kind of annoys me since I wont get a shot at him with #10 Waiver.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby jbauer2485 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:25 am

jbones733 wrote:nothing wrong w him & he shouldnt be dropped, but he was the easiest guy to predict this year IMO, no way was he going to have a year like last year so he would resume being a 3rd, 4th mid-late rd OF, & thats probably what will happen

Why is there "no way" he can have another year like last year? It's not like he rolled some dice and came out lucky with that final stat line, he played up to that level, so there's a possibility he can do it again. Maybe not MVP level again, but still top numbers. His 2005 numbers put him around a 2nd outfielder level, not border line starter in fantasy. I think he can at least go back to his 2005 numbers.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Tavish » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:50 am

masterpinky0509 wrote:Jermaine Dye's career numbers tend to indicate he's a 275/25/80 guy on an average team. If you give him a little allowance for how the Sox are a good offense and bump him up to 100 RBI, that's still a pretty mediocre stat line. I was fairly sure JD Drew would outperform him this year and so far I haven't been proven wrong.

What in his career numbers makes you think of him as a 25/80 type player? In his full seasons he averages 31/105 which includes his time spent in the Oakland wasteland. In the launching pad in Chicago and as part of #3 AL offense last year its not too big of a stretch to expect him to be above those career average numbers. The .300+ average he held last year is the only part of his statline that was really all that out of place and expecting him to drop back down to the .280 range makes sense. Expecting him to turn into Emil Brown doesn't.

Dye has that big, long swing that tends to produce a streaky hitter when his timing is off. He had a great season last year and still had two cold months where he hit below .270 and he had a miserable start to the 2005 season when he was well below Mendoza. If you can snag him now go for it and enjoy when he gets on track and puts out his typical 7-10 HR and 20+ RBI months.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby BostonBK7 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:40 pm

Tavish wrote:
masterpinky0509 wrote:Jermaine Dye's career numbers tend to indicate he's a 275/25/80 guy on an average team. If you give him a little allowance for how the Sox are a good offense and bump him up to 100 RBI, that's still a pretty mediocre stat line. I was fairly sure JD Drew would outperform him this year and so far I haven't been proven wrong.

What in his career numbers makes you think of him as a 25/80 type player? In his full seasons he averages 31/105 which includes his time spent in the Oakland wasteland. In the launching pad in Chicago and as part of #3 AL offense last year its not too big of a stretch to expect him to be above those career average numbers. The .300+ average he held last year is the only part of his statline that was really all that out of place and expecting him to drop back down to the .280 range makes sense. Expecting him to turn into Emil Brown doesn't.

Dye has that big, long swing that tends to produce a streaky hitter when his timing is off. He had a great season last year and still had two cold months where he hit below .270 and he had a miserable start to the 2005 season when he was well below Mendoza. If you can snag him now go for it and enjoy when he gets on track and puts out his typical 7-10 HR and 20+ RBI months.

Thank you, finally a sensible argument that should end this argument.

275/25/80...that's ridiculous
BostonBK7
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Kneejerk Reaction » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:26 pm

J35J wrote:

Happens every year and the more you tell people to chill the more the threads keep popping up. I'm kinda numb to them anymore though they do get old real fast. Ahhh well what can you do?

Bite your tongue! We all know 20AB's is the perfect indicator of what will happen over a full season of AB's. I would drop Dye immediately for Sammy Sosa!
The sky is falling!
Kneejerk Reaction
T-Ball Trainer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers