whats up with gordon? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

whats up with gordon?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby J35J » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:03 am

Gordon has faced some of the better pitchers in the league this first week (As mentioned already). He could struggle this whole year and still be one of the better prospects for next year. Some start off hot, some don't its just the way it is. With that said, Gordon is very intimidated at the plate. He has good ABs and takes some good swings but if/when he gets 2 strikes on him he REALLY presses. He's the type of guy who if he can get a couple 2 hit games under his belt in the next 2 or 3 games then that could spark him and boost his confindence which could turn into great things. The way he is pressing and looking completely intimdated at the plate though is very worrisome.... I wouldn't be mad if they decided to send him to AAA for a month or so. I'm always a proponent of taking it slow with prospects.

The reason why he is up and Bulter is down is because Butler came straight from high school and is just a "pup". Gordon obviously came from the highest levels of college ball....

George Brett is a regular on our local sports radio and he mentioned that they found a hole in Gordons swing during ST and that they were working hard to fix it.....

Anyway, he'll be fine as a major leaguer even if it isn't this year.

Oh, and yes, Butler is a better hitter than Gordon, though Butler isn't even an avg defender.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jblank » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:42 am

Krunk City King$ wrote:dropped him for A. Iwamura.....to back up mcab.

:-P

2nd coming of Berkman-Pujols my @$$......

:-t

now watch him hit 4 HRs tomorrow.......

:-?

You will come to regret that. Iwamura has very little of the upside Gordon does.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:47 am

Does anyone remember D. Wright's first 50 AB? I do. Wright hit about .200 and that included a bunch of games against pretty poor Expos pitching. He looked lost.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:58 am

Amazinz wrote:Does anyone remember D. Wright's first 50 AB? I do. Wright hit about .200 and that included a bunch of games against pretty poor Expos pitching. He looked lost.

I remember that. I was one of the ones who dropped him. :,-( :~(
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:20 pm

Fielder was pretty bad last year also in the beginning. He was K'ing at an alarming rate and looked completely lost.

Hopefully AG doesn't pull a Blalock.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TurdFerguson » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:31 pm

Its hilarious how many people are jumping ship after one week of baseball.Alex Gordon is all of the sudden going to be a bust because he cant figure out ML pitching after one week. :-t

The AB Ive seen have been pretty good.Just like the poster above said he just presses when he gets two strikes on him.He will settle down...
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Krunk City King$ » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:51 pm

jblank wrote:
Krunk City King$ wrote:dropped him for A. Iwamura.....to back up mcab.

:-P

2nd coming of Berkman-Pujols my @$$......

:-t

now watch him hit 4 HRs tomorrow.......

:-?

You will come to regret that. Iwamura has very little of the upside Gordon does.

i have miguel cabrera.....so i doubt it. I just need someone that i can slide into my lineup on off days and not get -2.5. I think that Gordon has mucho pressure on him and I believe that he will heat up in a few weeks. But I cannot carry a guy like that on my team right now.

And speaking of Iwamura...he was a Japanese All-star who is currently playing like an All-star. I know that it is early, but I feel better putting him in over Gordon.....and that is what counts.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jblank » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:27 pm

And in a month, when Gordon has settled into his role as a MLB hitter, clubs some homers, runs off a 10 game hitting streak, all the while being on your opponents team, will you feel the same?

Lets put it this way, I think once the book gets out on Iwamura, he will hit his ceiling, peak out, and drop back to being adequate, while Gordon hits his stride.

Good luck though, but I am sticking with Gordon, albeit on my bench for a while. With Aramis Ramirez, I am not really being pressured to play him, but I would like to see him slide into my UTIL slot.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:33 pm

jblank wrote:And in a month, when Gordon has settled into his role as a MLB hitter, clubs some homers, runs off a 10 game hitting streak, all the while being on your opponents team, will you feel the same?

Lets put it this way, I think once the book gets out on Iwamura, he will hit his ceiling, peak out, and drop back to being adequate, while Gordon hits his stride.

Good luck though, but I am sticking with Gordon, albeit on my bench for a while. With Aramis Ramirez, I am not really being pressured to play him, but I would like to see him slide into my UTIL slot.

Guess I like Iwamura more than most people. He was a very good hitter in Japan and could go 20-20 with a good AVG. I would not be surprised if Iwamura has equal or better numbers than Gordon at the end of this year. In the future, obviously Gordon is the better choice.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Krunk City King$ » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:42 pm

jblank wrote:And in a month, when Gordon has settled into his role as a MLB hitter, clubs some homers, runs off a 10 game hitting streak, all the while being on your opponents team, will you feel the same?

i will try to get him back. but like i said...i already have depth at 3B on my team. and we have position limits of 3 per position. now that upton has 2b/3b eligibilty he does not count as a 3b only player. so if he hits... i will be on him. ;-D

A.J. Pierzynski
M Barrett
K Youkilis
R Howard
B.J. Upton
L Castillo
M M. Cabrera
J B. Reyes
R Ibanez
C B. Young
B Abreu
L Berkman
J Thome
T Hafner
A Iwamura

but at the same time...it is very unfair to say that mlb will figure out Iwamura and Gordon will hit. None of that is guaranteed to go as you describe.....unless you have a crystal baseball. :-?
Last edited by Krunk City King$ on Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers