whats up with gordon? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

whats up with gordon?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DirtyKash » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:11 am

He gets a break by getting to face a Double-A pitcher tomorrow (Josh Towers). Should help him break out.
DirtyKash
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby x_Momentum » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:35 am

DirtyKash wrote:He gets a break by getting to face a Double-A pitcher tomorrow (Josh Towers). Should help him break out.

i bet he`ll pull a hammy or something tomorrow ;-D
x_Momentum
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:35 am

He is a rook and a lot of people had unrealistic expectations. He didn't look that good to me today against Burnett. It's too early to call him a bust for sure but most rooks have up/down type seasons. Give him some time.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby j24jags » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:46 am

pokerplaya wrote:
Mugrila wrote:First and foremost, we're a week into the season. He's seen one weeks worth of major league pitching. To add to that, he's seen Schilling, Beckett, DiceK, Verlander, Bonderman, and AJ Burnett. He's a rookie facing some really solid MLB pitchers. 1 week.

Indeed. ;-D

I'll attribute some of his struggles to that, but also some to what davidmarver said (he's just not ready).
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:04 am

He shouldn't have been a lock starter in most leagues anyways, he's a bench guy unless your in a deeper league. Anyways though, as it's been said the season is young, and he's going through a combination of changes, don't lose faith just yet.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Wharton93 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:49 am

His BABIP is .076; typical for a hitter is closer .290. He is, in additional to facing some very tough pitchers, experiencing a bit of bad luck. AJ Burnett gave up 3 hits last night--lots of oh-fers.
Wharton93
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bdrotoronto » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:11 am

Wharton93 wrote:His BABIP is .076; typical for a hitter is closer .290. He is, in additional to facing some very tough pitchers, experiencing a bit of bad luck. AJ Burnett gave up 3 hits last night--lots of oh-fers.

That's a bit misleading--Burnett was having some serious control issues early in that game, the Royals loaded the bases in both the 2nd and 3rd innings, just couldn't get a clutch hit. In fact, Gordon was the guy who ended the 3rd inning, I'm sure everyone in the park was delighted he was the guy at bat. If Gordon gets a hit there then the entire game is probably different; instead it was really over at that point, and Burnett started getting into a groove after that.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:22 am

It's strange how the Royals rushed Gordon up, but seem to be coddling Butler in the minors. If Alex continues to struggle, I think a trip to AAA would do him a ton of good.

And it would also give me a chance to cash in on post hype sleeper potential. :-D
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:27 am

Inukchuk wrote:It's strange how the Royals rushed Gordon up, but seem to be coddling Butler in the minors. If Alex continues to struggle, I think a trip to AAA would do him a ton of good.

And it would also give me a chance to cash in on post hype sleeper potential. :-D

Butler is a better hitter although most people will disagree with me. Gordon is a better overall player and Butler is average at best on defense, the reason why he is being held back.

If Gordon continues to struggle in the next couple of weeks, then I can't imagine they will keep him up. It took him a bit to adjust at AA last season so I do think he will turn it around at some point. But a lot of people did have unrealistic expectations for him.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:44 am

DirtyKash wrote:He gets a break by getting to face a Double-A pitcher tomorrow (Josh Towers). Should help him break out.

How dare you speak of Josh Towers like that? He beat Victor Zambrano to win a spot in the rotation, that should put him in Triple A right there. ;-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 608)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers