David Wells - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to San Diego Padres

David Wells

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

David Wells

Postby ironman » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:52 am

I haven't found anything online yet, but ESPN Radio has been reporting that it will be announced later today that David Wells will be heading to San Diego.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ironman » Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:22 pm

From espn.com

David Wells apparently will be pitching for his hometown San Diego Padres in 2004.

The Padres are expected to announce that the left-hander, who at one time was close to finalizing a minor-league deal with the Yankees, has signed an incentive-laden one-year contract, the San Diego Union-Tribune and the New York Post reported in their Wednesday editions.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:02 pm

ironman wrote:From espn.com

David Wells apparently will be pitching for his hometown San Diego Padres in 2004.

The Padres are expected to announce that the left-hander, who at one time was close to finalizing a minor-league deal with the Yankees, has signed an incentive-laden one-year contract, the San Diego Union-Tribune and the New York Post reported in their Wednesday editions.

isn't it beautiful ...... ;-D

welcome home David .. ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:11 pm

Wells and Beck. Out back having a few cold ones after the game in the motorhome. :-D Good times. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:37 pm

Madison wrote:Wells and Beck. Out back having a few cold ones after the game in the motorhome. :-D Good times. :-)

we could all go down and join them too ... they are those kinda of Guys .. You should see the 'friends' that Daivd use to have at the Angels games when he was in town. If ya got there for Batting Practice, you could always see him chatin' at them. I'd swear 75% of them have Mullets ....... LMAO
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Padres19 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:08 pm

I am so-so on this deal. I REALLY wanted to see Maddux in a Padres uniform next year, but only because i am sure he can perform. Granted so can Wells, he just scares me a tad. As long as he pitches like he has in the past, then this will be an awesome deal. With incentives he can make 7 million dollars. I'd pay that any day for an ace.

As for drinking, I'm pretty sure those two guys will make Dicks Last Resort their new home. They seem like the kinda guys that would love that place and its only a mile or so away from Petco.
[list]Classic Jerry Colmanisms
[*]"Montreal leads Atlanta by three, 5-1."
[*]"They throw Winfield out at second, but he's safe."
[*]"Johnny Grubb slides into second with a standup double."[/list:u]
Padres19
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ironman » Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:47 pm

Last summer when I was in Des Moines with some friends we drove down to the stadium to see Shooter's camper outside Sec Taylor Stadium when he was with AAA Iowa before being sent off to San Diego. Unfortunately no one was home. We were hoping to catch him and sit and have a few beers.

So my only drinking with a ballplayer story remains to be the time in Chicago when my buddies and I drank with Keith Johns at a bar outside Wrigley. Only the insane baseball geeks would know who he is. He played a total of two games in 1998 with the BoSox. You can look him up on http://www.baseball-reference.com or some other site. Not a lot of time in the show except for the cup of coffee in Boston but it was interesting nonetheless to hear stories from a journeyman minor leaguer. Plus we had Schlitz in a bottle, which is a hard find!

I realize the prior two paragraphs have nothing to do with Wells, but what the heck. Happy New Year!
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DieHardCubbie » Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:11 pm

At first this looked like a good move for the Padres....but after thinking about it...Boomer and Shooter coming to the ballpark everyday hungover..... :-?
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:27 pm

ironman wrote:Last summer when I was in Des Moines with some friends we drove down to the stadium to see Shooter's camper outside Sec Taylor Stadium when he was with AAA Iowa before being sent off to San Diego. Unfortunately no one was home. We were hoping to catch him and sit and have a few beers.

So my only drinking with a ballplayer story remains to be the time in Chicago when my buddies and I drank with Keith Johns at a bar outside Wrigley. Only the insane baseball geeks would know who he is. He played a total of two games in 1998 with the BoSox. You can look him up on http://www.baseball-reference.com or some other site. Not a lot of time in the show except for the cup of coffee in Boston but it was interesting nonetheless to hear stories from a journeyman minor leaguer. Plus we had Schlitz in a bottle, which is a hard find!

I realize the prior two paragraphs have nothing to do with Wells, but what the heck. Happy New Year!

Funny too, cus Beck has been spotted a few times in the parking lot after the games tossing em back with the fans ....

happy new year .. ;-D
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The_One » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:14 pm

David Wells - S - San Diego Padres Dec 31

Padres signed LHP David Wells, who had been with the Yankees, to a one-year, $1.25 million contract.
Wells could make up to $7 million through incentives. He's expected to start on Opening Day for the Padres if he's recovered from back surgery. Brian Lawrence, Jake Peavy, Adam Eaton and either Ismael Valdes or Sterling Hitchcock will make up the rest of the San Diego rotation. The Yankees will get a supplemental first-round pick and the first selection in the second round for losing Wells, so they shouldn't be too disappointed.
The_One
College Coach
College Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

Return to San Diego Padres