I'M SICK OF JAVY LOPEZ - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I'M SICK OF JAVY LOPEZ

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:28 pm

IMO, Posada is the safest pick of the Cs. He may not offer the best numbers at C when the year is out, but he is good and reliable. Lopez could be huge again...or the roid bubble could burst/he falls off his career and contract year. Piazza is declining in skills and is not getting any younger. Like anything else, it depends on the price/round you get him in.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikcou » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:31 pm

Varitek could do well next year
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:36 pm

mikcou wrote:Varitek could do well next year

He will be a good option at C but I don't see him improving on last year's numbers.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby mortbert » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:02 pm

I've heard LOTS of comments about how overrated Lopez is and it seems as though the evidence for this is that he had this monster year simply because it was a contract year. . . but it is not as though he has been a slacker on the field who just decided to play harder. Back in February 2003 it was widely reported about the off-season changes he made in his diet and excercise routine. . . and the results were spectactular. So. . . unless I hear that he has gained back the weight or that his off-season workouts are different, why should I assume that he'll drop off the planet. . . will he it 40+ homeruns again? Possible and with the Baltimore lineup he could have an even bigger overall year. . Let's not forget that he had a better second half than first half last year.
mortbert
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bell » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:11 pm

mortbert wrote:I've heard LOTS of comments about how overrated Lopez is and it seems as though the evidence for this is that he had this monster year simply because it was a contract year. . . but it is not as though he has been a slacker on the field who just decided to play harder. Back in February 2003 it was widely reported about the off-season changes he made in his diet and excercise routine. . . and the results were spectactular. So. . . unless I hear that he has gained back the weight or that his off-season workouts are different, why should I assume that he'll drop off the planet. . . will he it 40+ homeruns again? Possible and with the Baltimore lineup he could have an even bigger overall year. . Let's not forget that he had a better second half than first half last year.

Well, you could contribute the off-season workout to him realizing he was in a contract year.

A couple weeks ago I was listening to ESPN radio and they were discussing that Javy gets like a massive bonus ($5 mil, I believe? Can anyone else confirm?) for keeping his weight within a three pound range. So it would seem the Orioles have the same concerns and are putting him to the test by offering him a nice treat.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pkarr5000 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:30 pm

i dont care how this guy does it: losing weight, motivation, drugs...I couldnt care less. but i know he will do well next year as the orioles DH/1B, especially if vlad comes to town
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:31 pm

A couple weeks ago I was listening to ESPN radio and they were discussing that Javy gets like a massive bonus ($5 mil, I believe? Can anyone else confirm?) for keeping his weight within a three pound range. So it would seem the Orioles have the same concerns and are putting him to the test by offering him a nice treat.

it's not true:
"Lopez attributes his success at the plate last season to not piling as much food on top of one. He went on the Subway diet last winter, subsisting on turkey breast sandwiches, and lowered his weight from 248 to 210.

Flanagan refuted an ESPN.com report that Lopez's contract includes a $5 million weight management clause."

http://www.sunspot.net/sports/baseball/ ... s-baseball[/quote]
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby pkarr5000 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:36 pm

did he walk a mile to subway and back B-)
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:10 pm

Lopez has had quite a few nice years for a c. Te best thing for fantasy owners happened. He left Atlanta. No more sitting for Maddux. Now he will start more, and could dh as well. I see no reason he can't go 25 hrs 80 rbis.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:51 pm

mortbert wrote: Possible and with the Baltimore lineup he could have an even bigger overall year.

:-? not sure about this one

but I def not "HI" on Javy for '03 .. ;-)
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers