I'M SICK OF JAVY LOPEZ - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I'M SICK OF JAVY LOPEZ

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I'M SICK OF JAVY LOPEZ

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:45 am

OK.....I am getting tired of hearing about Javy Lopez. All of a sudden this guy is the best offensive catcher in the MLB. Anybody remember what this guy has done previous to last season?? If you don't then I'll tell you....NOTHING. This guy did absolutely nothing. I didn't follow baseball too closley except for my team, the Yankees, until last year when I got involved in fantasy baseball with my friends. I knew just name players such as guys like Lopez and Vizquel and thought they were still good players. Was I sadly dissapointed. I've learned alot in my 2 years of fantasy baseball....enough that I know Javy Lopez is nowhere near how good people are suddenly saying he is. Javy has potential but he hasn't shown it in any other season other than this past season, so why should I trust him now after his contract year? In a draft I'd rank him 5th possibly 6th behind Pudge, Posada, Piazza, Kendall and possibly Lieberthal just because I think his production will still be decent in Camden Yards. Other than that I'd only draft him for trade power because everyone suddenly thinks he's a superstar. Does anyone see this the way I do??
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikcou » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:49 am

Id say pudge and posada are better than him other than that I think hes the best. He didnt do well in 2002 so he worked hard and had probably one of the best seasons a catcher has ever had. I dont think that he will repeat last year but I think that he will be able to go 280+ 100 rbis 100 runs and 30 hrs
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Swinger » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:50 am

Actually, that's probably the general consensus at the cafe. Well, not ranked 5th, but I think most people distrust his 2003 as well.

One other thing: do note the years from 1995 to 2000. That isn't doing "nothing".
Swinger
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby fastanfurious725 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:58 am

javy may be overrated but i think a guy one your list is even more so... jason kendall in my opinion is the most overrated player in the game. hes a catcher whos an average hitter with above average speed who was paid way too much and after this big contract everyone goes off and says "hey this guy kendall is a great catcher"... i dont think so
fastanfurious725
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mikcou » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:58 am

Swinger wrote:Actually, that's probably the general consensus at the cafe. Well, not ranked 5th, but I think most people distrust his 2003 as well.

One other thing: do note the years from 1995 to 2000. That isn't doing "nothing".

Its not like 95-00 he was a .200 hitter he was a decent hitter for a catcher untill 02
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:15 pm

how can a guy break the all time record for homers by a Catcher and not be at least considered "good"?

I'm taking a chance on him if he's available.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby mikcou » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:26 pm

trevisc wrote:how can a guy break the all time record for homers by a Catcher and not be at least considered "good"?

I'm taking a chance on him if he's available.

thats my opinion on him... If he played everyday last year he could 50+ home runs
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:28 pm

yes..and the Orioles have already said they are going to let him DH and possibly play 1B so that means he WILL get more at bats. And also..he won't have to worry about having to take manditory rest breaks because Maddux doesn't like him to catch him.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:37 pm

trevisc wrote:yes..and the Orioles have already said they are going to let him DH and possibly play 1B so that means he WILL get more at bats. And also..he won't have to worry about having to take manditory rest breaks because Maddux doesn't like him to catch him.

thats what i was thinking. i dont expect that he will match last years home run total but having him dh a fair number of games should help out. not only will he have more at-bats but he should be better rested.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby mikcou » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:23 pm

trevisc wrote:yes..and the Orioles have already said they are going to let him DH and possibly play 1B so that means he WILL get more at bats. And also..he won't have to worry about having to take manditory rest breaks because Maddux doesn't like him to catch him.

thats good news for people with Javy.. Most catchers take 1 game out of every 5 games. One pitcher will take the backup catcher as his personal catcher who catches every time he pitches. As you were saying about Maddux.
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers