Marlins - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marlins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Marlins

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:31 pm

How are these guys so good? They seem to always find ways to win. How can an organization with their payroll be better than most teams?
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fbc_fan » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:33 pm

because those trades they made in the 05 offseason were pretty shrewd. all the young talent wont be arbitration eligible for another couple of years. it also helps when you only have to pay mcab $400,000 for his services in 06. at least that was his salary if i remember correctly.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby roninmedia » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:55 pm

Because the Marlins understand the small market mentality. Get good young arms before you worry about hitting. Look at the Devil Rays, they pour all their effort into hitting prospects. That has gotten them nowhere. And in the real MLB, pitchers are more valuable then hitters so they can be key pieces to move.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Tarheel00 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:57 pm

Hanley and A. Sanchez for Beckett and Lowell was a huge trade for them. Twice the talent for half the price.
Tarheel00
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:03 pm

Miguel Cabrera, it all starts there.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tokugawa » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:39 pm

If you believe the contract year hype, which I don't, then you have a great situation in Florida. A bunch of young guys on the league minimum or close to it, all trying to prove themselves and get their big payday. Furthermore, there's a good team spirit down there, no guy is bigger than the team. I like what the Marlins have done so far.
Tokugawa
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:47 pm

Tokugawa wrote:Furthermore, there's a good team spirit down there, no guy is bigger than the team.

That's what I think. Take a bunch of good kids with solid talent, toss them on a team with zero expectations, and see what happens. They're relaxed, they're having fun, and they're helping each other. Really good chemistry there. ;-D

Plus, something that's rarely mentioned, and I really have no clue (so don't kill me if I'm way off base !+) ), but maybe their coaches are that good at molding the talent. Any Marlins fans care to comment on the coaching staff? :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:02 pm

Oakland does it every year with a much larger budget but they ahven't won yet. I know everyone hates Loria but can you blame him for being cheap? No one goes to the games. I wouldn't want to spend money on a team to lose money. Instead I would build it from nothing every few years and spend the money when you have a chance to win the big one. Does that summarize their overall plan?
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mikhayl » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:59 am

Yoda wrote:Oakland does it every year with a much larger budget but they ahven't won yet. I know everyone hates Loria but can you blame him for being cheap? No one goes to the games.

Off topic a little bit, but I don't understand the attendance thing at all. Sure it rains a lot, but it's still warm and sunny in Florida most of the time. I'd be at that ballpark watching that great young team 81 times a year. Not to mention that they play in the most exciting NL division.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:07 am

roninmedia wrote:Because the Marlins understand the small market mentality. Get good young arms before you worry about hitting. Look at the Devil Rays, they pour all their effort into hitting prospects. That has gotten them nowhere. And in the real MLB, pitchers are more valuable then hitters so they can be key pieces to move.

At the same time, look at the Pirates...they did exactly as you suggested - get young arms before hitters.

The result? They've had 6 first round draft pick pitchers get TJ surgery in the past 10 years. The offense is terrible because they have poor drafts. The pitching outside of Duke and Snell - who was thought to only be good enough to be a RP by Dave Littlefield - is not that good either.

They haven't had a winning season since 1992. In short...it's the life of a Pirates fan. :,-(
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers