Does Melvin Mora have one more good season left in him? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Does Melvin Mora have one more good season left in him?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Does Melvin Mora have one more good season left in him?

Postby SirDunkALot » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:41 pm

We all recall Melvin Mora being almost a scrub from 1999-2002, but then of course, he had those two nice seasons in '03 and '04.

Just curious for those that have been watching the Orioles games: how does he look at the plate? Are we thinking that his '06 stats are more of what he'll bring to the table, or could he have one more nice season in him?
SirDunkALot
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BMcP » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:49 pm

I'm thinking he might - at least quite possibly a very strong first half. He seems to be seeing the ball very well right now and his swing looks sharp. Particularly with Markakis and Tejada behind him (and BRob in front) he's surrounded with some pretty solid protection.

I'd welcome other thoughts-
BMcP
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:59 pm

I sure hope he is. The experts have written him off 'cause he's a 35-yr-old with a three-year trend showing nothing but decline. I gambled on him late-round, haven't seen him play but the results are there. I would also like to hear an O's fan's take or from someone who's seen him play this year.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:06 pm

I've seen a couple games, and so far it seems to me that pitchers are not respecting him and challenging him very often, maybe recognizing the danger with Markakis and Tejada behind him and expecting to be less hurt given his recent declines.

As a result, he's getting a lot of good pitches to hit, and seems to be handling them reasonably well. I think the question will be what happens as pitchers adjust a bit and try to exploit his own weaknesses more. I wouldn't be surprised to see a good start tail off into more mediocrity, though overall a slight, but not major bounce in his numbers might be possible.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Area51's » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:53 pm

been watching him too, and he's actually available in my main league...I'm kind of screwed right now becasue of injuries to R. Hernandez, Matsui, and Dotel, but as soon as one of them is back, he's probably my first grab.
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SendHelp » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:51 am

only grab him if you can start him. no use adding him to your bench. he's not getting any better as the season goes on.
SendHelp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby x_Momentum » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:36 am

i think this will be a good year for melvin mora. he's sandwiched between some possible breakout players in roberts and markakis and then you have tejada at clean-up. he's looking real good to put up some producing numbers this year. i like it :-)
x_Momentum
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers