Brad Lidge is out as closer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Brad Lidge is out as closer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Another Blown Save » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:03 pm

Brad Lidge, who blew the save on opening day and struggled on Sunday against the St. Louis Cardinals, has been removed as closer. Dan Wheeler is the new closer. Chad Qualls and Rick White are now the main setup guys.

"I'm going to change the bullpen configuration a little bit," Phil Garner said. "Brad is not going to close as a general rule. There may be a situation where I may o it, but as of right now I'm going to pitch him earlier in the game, sixth inning area, sixth-seventh inning area 'cause I want to pitch him more often, give him more consistent work. As it stands right now I'll probably close with Wheeler, set up with Qualls and White.

"If I use those guys to get to the ninth inning we should have the lead. There might be an occasion when I close with Brad."

Full Story
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Young 8 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:16 pm

ah ah

Now i'm waiting for bigh0rt answer

!+)
Young 8
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bosox58 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:33 pm

yeah i'm trying to move lidge now too..after seeing papelbon's performance against the rangers last night, i am confident i have a closer in him; so long as he stays healthy.....Altought the previous year's numbers still prove lidge as a legit closer, the decision to remove him as closer is just not boding well for lidge...wheeler is in
bosox58
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:51 pm

I was really surprised... sure, he's looked awful so far, but we're only a week in.

I picked up Wheeler in the two league he was available in for me.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Young 8 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:14 pm

1-2-3 for Wheeler
Young 8
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:17 pm

This is why Lidge was on my DND on draft day: he's had issues, and with Wheeler backing him up Garner won't hesitate to make the switch.
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dc928 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:57 pm

I avoid Lidge on my draft date too, I think he is get serious issues, I think he needs to leave Houston and start fresh. I mean he is get great stuff. He strike out more than 1 batter per inning, I guess that Albert Pujos HR really takes the life out of him.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JMoney » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:14 pm

I just dropped zumaya for wheeler but I was thinking of dropping chad cordero instead due to the nationals never having a chance.....bad choice or a good one??? whatcha think

I think that wheeler will be a better choice due to getting a chance to get saves over zumaya but i want some input guys/gals

C R. Martin
1B A. Gonzalez
2B B. Phillips
3B A. Ram
SS Rollins
OF Crawford
OF Berkman
OF D. Young
UT Fielder
B Teahen

SP Sheets
SP Harden
P Wheeler
P Hoffman
P Cordero
RP Rodriguez
RP Ryan
B Wainright
B Bush
B Capuano
B Burnett
JMoney
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jvmillion83 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:58 pm

I'm not shocked. Lidge has been brutal since he gave up that grand slam to Nomar last season. He was brutal during ST and fell apart in his 2 appearances at start of this season. It was only a matter of time. Smart move Garner.
jvmillion83
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tenacious D-Store » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:09 am

Ligde won't even be used as a setup man according to Garner. Looks like thier patience has run out with him.

"I'm going to change the bullpen configuration a little bit," manager Phil Garner said. "Brad is not going to close as a general rule. ... As of right now I'm going to pitch him earlier in the game, sixth inning area, sixth-seventh inning area 'cause I want to pitch him more often, give him more consistent work. As it stands right now I'll probably close with Wheeler, set up with [Chad] Qualls and [Rick] White." It had to be done. Lidge's fastball is still there, so he could turn things around if he gets his head on straight. In the meantime, Wheeler will likely do a fine job saving games.
Tenacious D-Store
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates