Patience, Patience, Patience - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Patience, Patience, Patience

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BigMusky » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:41 pm

josebach wrote:
BigMusky wrote:well I dropped Phillies Pitcher Patterson for Oliver Perez...maybe it was a panic move but I remember holding onto a guy over Carpenter the year he broke out and it was a costly mistake....so you dont want to just sit on fringe players either.

Do you mean Washington's Patterson? If so, I wouldn't exactly call Patterson a stud considering he's coming off an arm injury and he only had 1 good season. I'm actually a Patterson owner and thought myself of dropping him for Perez after the 3 run first inning he put up on Saturday, but by the end of the game, he managed to convince me to keep him on for another start. :-)

yes...I dont know why I said Phillies :-? I figure with a 9+ ERA after two games I dont have to worry about someone else picking him up for a while...so I can use that roster spot to hold onto a hotter comodity while evualting these "breakout" candidates
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ivesaidway2much » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:23 pm

Personally, I think patience is overrated in fantasy baseball. Much like the significant difference between impatience and utter stupidity is underrated.
ivesaidway2much
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:16 pm

patience? you try telling that to an owner in need of wins and saves when i have felix and borowski!!! they havent played in a week lol
10 team,H2H,5x5
C-Montero
1B-A.Gonzalez
2B-Utley
3B-Longoria
SS-Reyes
1B/3B-Morneau
2b/SS-K.Jonhson
OF-J.Upton,CarGo,Pierre
UTL-Rasmus
P-Hamels,Nolasco,W.Rodriguez,Garza,Wagner,Aardsma
BN-Span,Slowey,Liriano,E.Santana,Gregg, Pelfrey, Street
DL-B. Anderson
sadlyajetsfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby j24jags » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:52 pm

Yea people are low on patience b/c closers are already losing their jobs and some teams with studs (Hafner, Sizemore, Ichiro, Felix, etc) are still waiting to play their 4th game...
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby josebach » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:26 pm

ivesaidway2much wrote:Much like the significant difference between impatience and utter stupidity is underrated.

What was the point in saying that? A lot of people make poor decisions when they start playing and it doesn't mean they're "utterly stupid". Not everyone can be an expert their very first season like you obviously were.

Appropriate name.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:36 pm

I think people lose sight of the fact that it has been ONE week. ONE week isnt going to make or break your fantasy team. Even if you start out in last place, your going to be fine. Guys like Pujols, Howard, Ortiz, Manny are going to break out. It is not time to panic but it may be a great opportunity to take advantage of another owner panicking.

Anyone remember Chris Shelton from last year (I am sure some savvy vets do). He had everyone running to the waiver wire in search of the next Pujols. Great first week but was later cut by the Tigers I believe.

And Diggs....players (as I'm sure you know) go through cold and hot streaks. Nothing different with a fantasy baseball team. Some weeks Howard or Pujols will carry you (like perhaps this week) and other Jones or Soriano will carry you. Its actually good that you dont have all of your players on fire at the same time (except during the championship game obviously). I still won this week and Howard had a terrible week. This week? I'm hoping to reap the benefits from that lousy week by Howard.

So to all...lets take a deep breathe, sit back, and relax. 1 week is in the books and we have about 20 or so more to go (depends on league).
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby tianyi86 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:32 pm

Got rafael furcal off waivers :)
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:36 pm

ive been trying to tell my friends to stop bragging about their 1st place teams while mine is in 9th. they dont understand compared to something like football this is like bragging your going to win because your wide reciever got a td in the first quarter, ugh
10 team,H2H,5x5
C-Montero
1B-A.Gonzalez
2B-Utley
3B-Longoria
SS-Reyes
1B/3B-Morneau
2b/SS-K.Jonhson
OF-J.Upton,CarGo,Pierre
UTL-Rasmus
P-Hamels,Nolasco,W.Rodriguez,Garza,Wagner,Aardsma
BN-Span,Slowey,Liriano,E.Santana,Gregg, Pelfrey, Street
DL-B. Anderson
sadlyajetsfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JTWood » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:53 pm

What do you think I could get for Pujols? WHIR!

Seriously, good advice in the OP. If you drafted players with a history of success, don't panic when an uncharacteristic blip hits the fan. They will come through in the long-run.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby ivesaidway2much » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:59 pm

josebach wrote:
ivesaidway2much wrote:Much like the significant difference between impatience and utter stupidity is underrated.

What was the point in saying that? A lot of people make poor decisions when they start playing and it doesn't mean they're "utterly stupid". Not everyone can be an expert their very first season like you obviously were.

Appropriate name.
Notice how impatience and stupidity are both nouns and thus can't refer to actual people. Even you had to modify the quote to turn it into an insult. People commit acts of utter stupidity all the time; that's how you gain experience. It does not necessarily make them stupid. Plus I generally try to refrain from name calling.

You were, however, right about a couple of things. First of all, I realize not everyone is a natural fantasy expert like me. But now that people can tell by just a couple of sentences I type, it's almost a curse being this good. Second, if you saw the length of some of my posts over at the Football cafe (or this one!) you'd realize my name is most definitely appropriate. (Here's the point where I would comment on how your overreaction to my post shows that your choice of avatar was pretty appropriate as well, but fortunately I'm above that kind of thing). ;-)

I stand by my previous post. The difference between impatience and utter stupidity is highly underrated.
ivesaidway2much
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers