Felipe Lopez - Panic Time? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Felipe Lopez - Panic Time?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mikhayl » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:34 pm

brock middlebrook wrote:
stumpak wrote:Panic time was anout 3 months ago when it became apparant that the Nats were going to be one of the worst teams in recent memory.

So, telll me again why Zimmerman was rated a top 6-8 3B?

That's a softball.

Zimmerman was rated 6-8 because the Nat's suck.

He's a hell of a ballplayer and extracting 100+ RBI from the Nat's last year was nothing short of miraculous. He won't do it again with this lineup.

If he was playing for a real team playing and in a baseball stadium, he'd be in the same category as Atkins and A-Ram. Instead, he was with Glaus and Rolen.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigMusky » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:42 pm

I have been trying to move him since the day of the draft...not going so well.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:13 pm

hot4tx wrote:
stumpak wrote:Panic time was anout 3 months ago when it became apparant that the Nats were going to be one of the worst teams in recent memory.

Nonsense... they could lose all of their remaining games and if Lopez steals 40+ with SS/2B elig, he's still valuable.

1. Will he get 2b/ss eligibility?

2. As I pointed out before the season, Acta is NOT a big SB guy. He's a stats guy who doesn't think there is a lot of value in small ball approaches. Last year Lopez had 1 SB attempt for every 4.5 times on base. So far this year he's been on base 11 times with NO SB attempts.

3. 214 plate appearances in RFK...ZERO HRs.

So, what's his value as a SS with 5-10 HRs, 10-15 SBs, and no 2B eligibility?

Because that's what you might be getting.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby cordscords » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:16 pm

I know Acta doesnt like to run, but as others have pointed out, he's going to have to do something to spark the offense.

I still think Lopez swipes 30 with ease.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:27 pm

cordscords wrote:I know Acta doesnt like to run, but as others have pointed out, he's going to have to do something to spark the offense.

I still think Lopez swipes 30 with ease.

If he believes that running pours cold water on the offense, why would he respond to its failure to ignite by running?
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby j24jags » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:30 pm

Surprising that Acta is so conservative. You would have thought that coaching under Willie Randolph (One of the most agressive stealing managers) and the success of the Mets' offense, that Acta would have tried to bring some of it with him. Also, Acta was relatively aggressive as the 3rd base coach. Some of you may remember Marlon Anderson's inside-the-park homerun against the Angels in 05, that was an extremely questionable "go sign" and there were some others but I won't get into them.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby hot4tx » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:40 pm

1. If he had a lineup of good hitters, I would be more worried. He doesn't so he'll run if that's what he has to do to keep his HC job.

2. If Lopez isn't stealing bases by the end of April, I'd be worried. After 1 week and being on base 11 times, I definitely wouldn't panic. Ichiro and Soriano stole 40 bases last year and haven't stolen one yet either. Carl Crawford, Dave Roberts, Corey Patterson, and Scott Podsednik all stole 40 bases last year and have each stolen 1. 1 base. So hitting the panic button on Lopez sounds kinda silly to me.

3. There is a possibility that he doesn't switch back to 2B and doesn't gain elig. If you drafted him as your starting 2B you might want to scan the FA wire or try to trade for a 2B, but I definitely wouldn't "panic".
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby fbc_fan » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:51 pm

this should probably be stickied along with the closer thread.

i'm panicking a little more than others, but thats because i wanted lopez to play 2b for me this year. i'm not worried about the slow start, i'm worried that he might not get his eligibility. hopefully guzman is back soon...
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:29 pm

hot4tx wrote:1. If he had a lineup of good hitters, I would be more worried. He doesn't so he'll run if that's what he has to do to keep his HC job.

2. If Lopez isn't stealing bases by the end of April, I'd be worried. After 1 week and being on base 11 times, I definitely wouldn't panic. Ichiro and Soriano stole 40 bases last year and haven't stolen one yet either. Carl Crawford, Dave Roberts, Corey Patterson, and Scott Podsednik all stole 40 bases last year and have each stolen 1. 1 base. So hitting the panic button on Lopez sounds kinda silly to me.

3. There is a possibility that he doesn't switch back to 2B and doesn't gain elig. If you drafted him as your starting 2B you might want to scan the FA wire or try to trade for a 2B, but I definitely wouldn't "panic".

1. If Acta believes running kills his offense, why would he run?

2. I agree that it's too early to tell on Lopez, but I would also say, as I did before the season got started, that thinking he is a 15 HR 40 SB guy is nuts. H'es not going to do either of those playing in RFK with Acta has his manager. Reduce your expectations and be willing to deal him if you get a decent offer that overvalues him, but don't panic.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby gws226 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:13 am

errrr... he did manage to steal 21 bases last year in 71 with the nats.

I know that its hard to imagine a more pathetic offense then the 2007 version, but I dont recall the 2006 version being much better
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers