Kip Wells - Fool's Gold?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kip Wells - Fool's Gold??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cards07Champs » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:14 pm

No doubt, Bombko will run away with that award.

I've never seen a pitcher that does more little things to lose ballgames than Tomko.

Dave Bush may one day rival both of them as roto darlings that don't pitch up to their peripherals and everyone expects them to break out.

Some guys are just losers. Wells wasn't today, but he still might be. Bombko is (but his wife is hot).
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby browntown » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:19 pm

For what it'll cost you to get him (assuming he's still available in your league), why not stash him at the back of your rotation to see if he can keep stringing these starts together? Personally I think he's a good bet to be a pretty good SP4-5 under pitching coach Duncan in STL. There's no denying his stuff anyway. It's the consistency that has needed work. But so far so good!
browntown
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jealousblues » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:00 pm

speedy27 wrote:any pitcher looks good against the Astros, especially the first go round.

I get what you are saying, but I believe that most of those hitters have seen Wells before
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:06 am

i think he is a short term add. you'll want to give him a quick hook though. i hadnt really seen him pitch before this season and i've been impressed with his stuff so far. he's got good movement on his pitches. however, he isnt locating particularly well. he missed the catcher's target a number of times, sometimes by a lot. fortunately he's been what you call effectively wild. he has lead the league in walks as recently as 2005 so it wouldnt be terribly surprising if effectively wild returns to just wild at some point. might as well try to squeeze some innings out of him while he is going good though.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby masterpinky0509 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:06 am

Perhaps a trade candidate? He has solid stuff and at least he was keeping the ball down in the zone most of the time. His breaking stuff looks good--he threw 4 straight to Carlos Lee in one at-bat and got him to 2-2.

I forget whether Lee got a hit or walked in that at-bat...but the point is he is not afraid to give them sliders and curves early in the count for strikes.
masterpinky0509
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:12 am

Not a bad spot starter right now. He has crazy movements on his pitches and as everyone mentioned control was always a problem for him in the past. But guys like Wells tend to put together at least one or two good seasons at this stage in their career. The change of scenery will definitely help and I can see him doing well this season.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby visgc » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:25 pm

In addition to run support and Duncan, the cardinals infield defense is could really benefit him. Pujols, Molina, and Rolen are some of the best defensively at their positions. I picked him up in most of my leagues, and like the rest of you, I'll be keeping a close eye on his walk #s as an indicator for potentially dropping him.
visgc
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:56 pm

i considered picking him up but then i realized he's never had the K's like he's having now and i can see him falling apart a month (or less) from now.

if i would have had a deeper bench i would have but i only have 2 bench slots

i like the fool's gold analogy though
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby JoshExley » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:11 pm

Had a nice Spring (1.16 ERA / 1.29WHIP / 22K in 23-1/3 IP).
Now it's carrying over?
I dunno, I may take a shot now that Kelvim has hit the DL...
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers