Jacque Jones. Thoughts? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jacque Jones. Thoughts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jacque Jones. Thoughts?

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:11 am

I thought he would make a solid #4 or #5 outfielder this year. The dude has been given every opportunity, batting 5th mostly (and 2nd at least once) in a line-up surrounded by talent. But he's batting .150 or something like that.

Anyone on the Cafe have any thoughts? As a long-time Twins fan when Jacque played here, we knew he was gonna give us .260 or .300, but him starting off at .150 is making me think of dumping him for a guy like Reed Johnson.

Does Jones stand a chance of being an adequate fantasy player in 07. I'm especially curious to hear Cubs' fans takes.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:24 am

He started out pretty slowly last year as well. Out of the Cubs stable of OF, I am not sure that too many of them are really suited to RF either.

Yesterday there was a ball hit into the CF/ RF gap, between Soriano and Jones, and they both ran back but Soriano kind of overran the ball caroming off the wall and Jones ran past Sori to chase it down and toss it in. It was just one play in the game and they won anyway but Soriano looked a bit klutzy and Jones seemed to be able to recognize that it was up to him to make the play. Small thing but I am not sure Lou would want to either bring up Pié and move Soriano to right or figure out some other solution there.

I suspect that as long as the Cubs are not in the toilet, they will probably keep trotting Jones out there and that he should heat up. He couldn't get too much colder... :-? :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:26 am

He is a solid 4/5 outfielder. I haven't seen him play this year but he's only had ~20 AB. I wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on a .150 AVG this early.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j24jags » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:28 am

I agree with Amazinz, don't worry about that BA so early. Depending on the depth of your league, yes he should make a solid 4th/5th OF ;-D
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby tal1286 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:53 am

The numbers will be there. Just keep in mind that Pineilla doesn't seem to be afraid of playing the matchups which means Jones probably won't get as many at bats against lefties, unlike Dusty who doesn't understand the concept of splits.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby crimson knuckles » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:48 pm

He'll end up w/ 23-28 hr's easily with that lineup
crimson knuckles
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Shaman » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:06 pm

I like Jones for his consistency and contributions in a variety of categories , but the downside is his lack of upside. On other words, he has virtually no trade value, as you can get similar numbers from a number of other players in any given week. Just released him today to pick up Kelly Johnson, who I hope to post similar numbers and provide a security blanket for Durham at 2B, as well as being an OF bench player to Soriano, Holliday, and Teahan/Hawpe/Lofton. So, if i were you, I'd consider whether grabbing a Reed Johnson or similar player better positions you in the long run.
Shaman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby browntown » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:16 pm

He's a pretty decent 4th or 5th OF, nothing more, nothing less. Those in daily lineup leagues can value him higher though, since he'll sit against the majority of the lefties he faces. Once Floyd is back and getting regular action, then there's going to be 3 guys (them and Murton) splitting 2 positions, so that could limit his ab's. Then again, when's the last time Floyd stayed healthy for any amount of time. I think you can expect something along the lines of .280 with 20-25 HR, and 80ish rbi's. Or in other words a 4th or 5th OF.
browntown
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Cards07Champs » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:20 pm

I think he's only worth a bench spot in a 14 team or deeper league.

He's a lefthanded Juan Encarnacion. He's a streak hitter who's 'hot' streaks aren't even much to write home about. I think if you're relying on him for any significant amount of ABs, you're in some trouble.

If you can snag a guy like Dukes or even Melky Cabrera, I think I'd gamble on the upside instead.
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Scooter1027 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:29 pm

crimson knuckles wrote:He'll end up w/ 23-28 hr's easily with that lineup

I have to say, this quote baffles me. How does his lineup effect how many homeruns he hits? Perhaps you meant to post an RBI total, or run total?

As far as my opinion, I wouldn't carry Jacque on my roster if it were a standard size league. In bigger leagues, yeah, he might be worth it. I just see a guy who's upside isn't all that high (I'd say last year is the best you could hope for), and who's downside is somewhat significant (he hit .254 in 2004, .249 in 2005). Plus, I think the Cubbies have enough corner OF options to reduce his playing time (Murton and Floyd come to mind).
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers