Rickey Henderson in his prime, where would you draft him? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rickey Henderson in his prime, where would you draft him?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LCBOY » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:54 pm

DK wrote:
LCBOY wrote:
kentx12 wrote:If ricky was playing today I would draft him because to quote Ricky "Ricky's physical condition is in great physical condition" Dont know exactly what that means but Ricky said it so it must be good. :-D

Rickey was one in million. He was at least interesting. Now we are stuck with bland, boring, metrosexual ball players like A-Rod. :-P The game isn't the same without some characters.

You just take every shot you can, can't you? !+)

DK,

It only took you about 15 seconds after I clicked "Submit" for you to respond! :-D :-D I love A-Rod, but I wouldn't mind some more characters in the game.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:58 pm

What can I say, I've got skill with the keys. :-b
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Re: Rickey Henderson in his prime, where would you draft him?

Postby LBJackal » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:27 pm

LCBOY wrote:
Mr. Smithers wrote:I think 3rd or 4th overall. When any one take him first. Remeber this is the Rickey of the 80s a guy who could hit 315 steal 80 knock in 70 score 100 and hit 20 something hrs. Not many players out there doing that now.

Uhhhh.....No one does this now. :-°

I'd pick him no worse than #2 overall.

My thoughts exactly ;-D

trevisc wrote:i wouldn't draft him at all..

The most games he played was 158 in his Rookie season. Yes..he had 100sbs but he had 8 homers and 53 rbis. I'd take him about the 6th round..

wouldn't draft him at all? 100 SB's and you wouldn't draft him :-? And the question was when he was in his prime.......not in his first season. I'd take him #1 overall probably, even over A-Rod. The SB's would basically be all that you needed. All your other hitters could be power guys and you'd dominate HR's and SB's. Not to mention all the runs and the great average he brings to the table. He was like Juan Pierre on steroids, and Juan Pierre is a 3rd or 4th rounder.........

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:34 am

LCBOY wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Ricky wouldn't be realistically stealing 80 in this day in age. Too many squads playing for the 3 run HR -- and more and more ballparks being built towards that.

If Ricky was hitting around .300 stealing 50+ bags, jacking 20 HR's, scoring 120+ runs. No doubt a top 3 pick.

If Juan Pierre can steal 65 bases today, Rickey could easily steal 80. ;-D

Pierre also benefits from playing in a spacious ballpark and a team that must manufacture runs.

Ricky's era and this era are totally different. Guys are much bigger and stronger, Ballparks are become smaller and smaller, and managers play for the 3 run HR over bunting the guy over, stealing 2nd, etc..

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby wrveres » Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:00 am

Its not even close ...

1406 .... 8-o

2nd place is ... Brock at 938. There will never be another Ricky. You can put that up as one of the records that will never be broken.
Lofton is the highest active at 538. and get this, next active... Barry. :-) 500. Pierre hasn't even cracked the top 100 yet...

gotta love Ricky. I know Ricky does. ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:52 am

wrveres wrote:Its not even close ...

1406 .... 8-o

2nd place is ... Brock at 938. There will never be another Ricky. You can put that up as one of the records that will never be broken.
Lofton is the highest active at 538. and get this, next active... Barry. :-) 500. Pierre hasn't even cracked the top 100 yet...

gotta love Ricky. I know Ricky does. ;-D

LOL...

intersting stats...thanks wrveres

just goes to show you that the game of baseball sure has changed over the years...
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:50 pm

Anonymous wrote:
LCBOY wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Ricky wouldn't be realistically stealing 80 in this day in age. Too many squads playing for the 3 run HR -- and more and more ballparks being built towards that.

If Ricky was hitting around .300 stealing 50+ bags, jacking 20 HR's, scoring 120+ runs. No doubt a top 3 pick.

If Juan Pierre can steal 65 bases today, Rickey could easily steal 80. ;-D

Pierre also benefits from playing in a spacious ballpark and a team that must manufacture runs.

Ricky's era and this era are totally different. Guys are much bigger and stronger, Ballparks are become smaller and smaller, and managers play for the 3 run HR over bunting the guy over, stealing 2nd, etc..

First of all, guys aren't that much bigger and stronger. And not all ball parks are smaller. It is all irrelevant anyway. Rickey's skills are the stermining factors and not the other players.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers