Kenny Lofton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kenny Lofton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tribe-Fan » Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:19 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Batting leadoff for NYY is worth at least 100 runs. I was more concerned about his HR and SB.

BTW - I can't wait for the first time Lofton comes charging in and makes and line out to center into a triple. I just don't get it. Bernie's defense was a concern so they go out and get Kenny Lofton?

You are on the money with that comment. I was complaining about this guy's D for years here in Cleveland. He would make the over the fence catch but blow the easy plays, and he continually threw to the wrong base or just plain missed the cutoff. He thinks he is Clemente out there trying to throw the guy out at home all the time.

But. we don't count defense do we, and I can see him being a very nice little player hitting leadoff for NY. 100 runs, .285 BA, 25-30 SB, and he will come cheap or late, whichever fits.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jayinet » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:51 pm

I'm afraid age may catch up to Lofton this year. If he struggles early George will get another bat and the Yanks will put Bernie back in center.

Also, I don't know if Bernie Williams is ready to be a full time DH (in his own mind). I think Torre will try to keep him happy and play him in center a few time a week no matter what- meaning a reduction in playing time for Lofton.

There's also the possibility that Giambi will have to DH if his knee starts to act up again and that would leave Lofton as the odd man out.

The likelihood that any of these scenarios or an injury could happen puts Lofton with the Dave Roberts and Tike Redmans on my list of outfielders- worth a flier if no one better is availble for that last spot.
jayinet
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Erboes » Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:35 pm

Tribe-Fan wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Batting leadoff for NYY is worth at least 100 runs. I was more concerned about his HR and SB.

BTW - I can't wait for the first time Lofton comes charging in and makes and line out to center into a triple. I just don't get it. Bernie's defense was a concern so they go out and get Kenny Lofton?

You are on the money with that comment. I was complaining about this guy's D for years here in Cleveland. He would make the over the fence catch but blow the easy plays, and he continually threw to the wrong base or just plain missed the cutoff. He thinks he is Clemente out there trying to throw the guy out at home all the time.

But. we don't count defense do we, and I can see him being a very nice little player hitting leadoff for NY. 100 runs, .285 BA, 25-30 SB, and he will come cheap or late, whichever fits.

Tribe-fan is correct, Lofton's a joke in the OF. If anyone still thinks the Gold Glove is not a popularity vote take note he has been a winner in the past.

Still, I don't think he'll do as well with the bat as he did last season, but probably still a good backup. I don't foresee him staying in NY for the whole season though, unless it's on the bench. I don't think his antics will be taken too kindly in NY, in my opinion.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chinch sacs » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:21 am

IF he can get 450-500 ABs, he is sure to get more than 100 runs, I was thinking more like 115, and 20+ SB, 15 or so before the AS break, 10-15 HRs, and a cool 50+ RBI (in that line-up how do you NOT get 50 Ribbies?)
Fantasy sports are ruled by the 50-50-90 rule...

Anytime you have a 50/50 choice between two players, 90% of the time, you'll get it wrong
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:31 am

I am really high on Kenny In pinstripes...

very high actually. ;-D ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:35 am

wrveres wrote:I am really high

:-° :-° pass.... :-° :-° pass...... :*)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:37 am

DieHardCubbie wrote:
wrveres wrote:I am really high

:-° :-° pass.... :-° :-° pass...... :*)
LMAO
that would be hi
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:29 am

mikcou wrote:lol but Williams knee is getting worse...

O.K. Then put him in LF and move Matsui to CF. He proved that he can do a decent job filling in last year.

wrveres wrote:I am really high on Kenny In pinstripes...

I forget. Who took Lofton in the 14th round in the Mock Draft 3? :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby rjforlife » Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:53 am

figure he will do what hes been doing the last couple of years plus add in 20 or more runs.....its true hes getting older which has caught up to some guys (RJ) and some not (Moyer). im an optimist so i would bank on solid numbers from kenny.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby wrveres » Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:39 am

Lofunzo wrote:I forget. Who took Lofton in the 14th round in the Mock Draft 3? :-D

;-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers