Baldelli - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baldelli

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bell » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:46 pm

trevisc wrote:
bell wrote:
A poor man's Pierre who hits 10 HR's and 85 RBI's? Must be one of them offensively productive poor man's Pierre's. ;-)


that's suppose to be 85 runs and 60 rbis..sorry

Ah, my bad. That makes more sense. ;-D
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1694
Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Stumbling along the AZ/WI border

Postby mikcou » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:27 pm

I can see Baldelli going .280-80-15-75 with around 20 stolen bases
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2060
Joined: 28 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Red Sox Nation

Postby LCBOY » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:21 pm

trevisc wrote:
Erboes wrote:Color me dubious.
I see a guy with absolutely no eye and is getting by on pure talent.


I'd take talent over an "eye". He will only get better the more pitchers he faces.


I'll take skill over talent. Rocco doesn't know how to control the stike zone. All good hitters are able to control the strike zone. He had a 128-30 strikeout-to-walk ratio last season with a .326 OBP. That is just atrocious. The ability to draw walks is a skill learned at a very young age, usually in the minors. I am skeptical that he will ever learn to have an "eye". I say he hits in the .250-.265 range with an awful OBP.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2838
Joined: 10 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On third base trying to steal home.

Postby trevisc » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:23 pm

LCBOY wrote:I say he hits in the .250-.265 range with an awful OBP.


why don't you post that in the projections forum and we'll revisit this discussion in October

;-D
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 11271
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby kdawg » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:29 pm

LCBOY wrote:
trevisc wrote:
Erboes wrote:Color me dubious.
I see a guy with absolutely no eye and is getting by on pure talent.


I'd take talent over an "eye". He will only get better the more pitchers he faces.


I'll take skill over talent. Rocco doesn't know how to control the stike zone. All good hitters are able to control the strike zone. He had a 128-30 strikeout-to-walk ratio last season with a .326 OBP. That is just atrocious. The ability to draw walks is a skill learned at a very young age, usually in the minors. I am skeptical that he will ever learn to have an "eye". I say he hits in the .250-.265 range with an awful OBP.


I think I will take talent over skill. Name this two players who produces these stats their first full year in the league. Both were know as free swingers.

Player #1
.306 30 hr 122 r 98 rbi 22 sb

Player #2
.268 18 hr 77 r 73 rbi 43 sb

Player #2 is a little closer in comparison to Rocco. By the way, Rocco's stats were as follows:

.289 11 rh 89 r 78 rbi 27 sb
kdawg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 66
Joined: 30 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New Bedford, MA

Postby Erboes » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:36 pm

kdawg wrote:
LCBOY wrote:
trevisc wrote:
Erboes wrote:Color me dubious.
I see a guy with absolutely no eye and is getting by on pure talent.


I'd take talent over an "eye". He will only get better the more pitchers he faces.


I'll take skill over talent. Rocco doesn't know how to control the stike zone. All good hitters are able to control the strike zone. He had a 128-30 strikeout-to-walk ratio last season with a .326 OBP. That is just atrocious. The ability to draw walks is a skill learned at a very young age, usually in the minors. I am skeptical that he will ever learn to have an "eye". I say he hits in the .250-.265 range with an awful OBP.


I think I will take talent over skill. Name this two players who produces these stats their first full year in the league. Both were know as free swingers.

Player #1
.306 30 hr 122 r 98 rbi 22 sb

Player #2
.268 18 hr 77 r 73 rbi 43 sb

Player #2 is a little closer in comparison to Rocco. By the way, Rocco's stats were as follows:

.289 11 rh 89 r 78 rbi 27 sb


I'm sure one of them is Soriano.

What you are doing is taking the exception and making it the rule. Just because Soriano overcame his deficiencies does not mean that Baldelli will. It is rare that a player with poor plate discipline doesn't struggle at some point in the majors. Usually they spend a lot of time in the minors because of it if they ever make it at all. Maybe Baldelli is another exception, but I think the odds are heavily against him.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1433
Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kdawg » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:41 pm

I'm sure one of them is Soriano.

What you are doing is taking the exception and making it the rule. Just because Soriano overcame his deficiencies does not mean that Baldelli will. It is rare that a player with poor plate discipline doesn't struggle at some point in the majors. Usually they spend a lot of time in the minors because of it if they ever make it at all. Maybe Baldelli is another exception, but I think the odds are heavily against him.[/quote]

Well, what about Sosa or Garciaparra to name to others. Baldelli has the benefit of playing for an excellent coach. Experience will make him better.
kdawg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 66
Joined: 30 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: New Bedford, MA

Postby mikcou » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:42 pm

experience makes everyone better...
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2060
Joined: 28 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Red Sox Nation

Postby LCBOY » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:43 pm

kdawg wrote:
LCBOY wrote:
trevisc wrote:
Erboes wrote:Color me dubious.
I see a guy with absolutely no eye and is getting by on pure talent.


I'd take talent over an "eye". He will only get better the more pitchers he faces.


I'll take skill over talent. Rocco doesn't know how to control the stike zone. All good hitters are able to control the strike zone. He had a 128-30 strikeout-to-walk ratio last season with a .326 OBP. That is just atrocious. The ability to draw walks is a skill learned at a very young age, usually in the minors. I am skeptical that he will ever learn to have an "eye". I say he hits in the .250-.265 range with an awful OBP.


I think I will take talent over skill. Name this two players who produces these stats their first full year in the league. Both were know as free swingers.

Player #1
.306 30 hr 122 r 98 rbi 22 sb

Player #2
.268 18 hr 77 r 73 rbi 43 sb

Player #2 is a little closer in comparison to Rocco. By the way, Rocco's stats were as follows:

.289 11 rh 89 r 78 rbi 27 sb


So you rather take a player that rans fast over a player that can take walks, make contact and work the count on a pitcher?
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2838
Joined: 10 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On third base trying to steal home.

Postby trevisc » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:43 pm

LCBOY wrote:So you rather take a player that rans fast over a player that can take walks, make contact and work the count on a pitcher?


If he can get me 40/40 every year then heck yeah!
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 11271
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Sep. 17
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Dodgers at Colorado
(3:10 pm)
San Francisco at Arizona
(3:40 pm)
Toronto at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Miami at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact