V Martinez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

V Martinez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby converge241 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:45 pm

Likely heading to DL per Wedge

RWorld:

Although the Indians called him day-to-day, manager Eric Wedge said after Friday's game that Victor Martinez would likely go on the DL with a strained left quad.

Kelly Shoppach will be the Indians' primary catcher while Martinez is out, so he'll be worth picking up in AL-only leagues. Just don't expect him to bat cleanup. Casey Blake will likely move into that spot. Mike Rose will likely be called up to serve as the backup catcher.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:05 am

Sportsline wrote:The Indians didn't lose their opener. They probably lost Victor Martinez for a while, though. Cleveland's catcher strained his left quadriceps while running to first base in the third inning of the Indians' frosty home opener Friday against the Seattle Mariners. The game was eventually postponed after 173 minutes in delays. Afterward, Indians manager Eric Wedge called Martinez's injury "a potential DL (disabled list) situation." Martinez hit a grounder to third baseman Adrian Beltre, who misplayed the bouncer for an error. Martinez didn't see Beltre's bobble as he hustled down to first, but he came up limping just as he approached the bag. Martinez spent several minutes kneeling in the outfield grass before walking gingerly off the field. He was replaced by pinch-runner Kelly Shoppach, who took over behind the plate in the top of the fourth.

The Indians said Martinez was day to day, but the injury appeared to be one that could keep him out for at least a few games. Now, it appears he'll go on the DL, joining starter Cliff Lee and reliever Matt Miller.

Buzzkill. Good luck David Ross (my backup) :*)
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby noren0 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:01 pm

:~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( Its my fault guys, sorry. I had been biting my tounge all week about how dominant my team has been so far. Yesterday, I opened my big mouth and started talkin smack on the league message board, moments later, karma bites me in the rear and takes my star catcher away... my bad.
Its only a game
noren0
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bcb » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:22 pm

Nothing new, but this from KFFL via Yahoo:
Apr 6 Updating a previous item, WKYC-TV, the NBC station in Cleveland, is reporting Cleveland Indians C Victor Martinez (quad) suffered an injury to his left quadriceps and he is considered day-to-day.

P.S. Curse you, noren0! :~(
bcb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bengbrewer » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:13 pm

Is vmart out for sure for tomorrows double header? Its the last day of the h2h week and I need to know if I should start Bard instead of VMart. It would be nice to be able to start VMart since he gets to play 2 days. Thanks
bengbrewer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Philliebuster » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:33 pm

bengbrewer wrote:Is vmart out for sure for tomorrows double header? Its the last day of the h2h week and I need to know if I should start Bard instead of VMart. It would be nice to be able to start VMart since he gets to play 2 days. Thanks

I'd start Bard for tomorrow's games if I were you. He's def not playing a doubleheader in his condition.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TEAM MVP » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:56 am

sucks...but thats why the Indians games have been canceled for 2 days in row...crazy, but its worth it. I have CC and id rather have him have a day off then pitching in snow and hurt himself bad.
TEAM MVP
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bcb » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:37 pm

To clarify, Sunday's DH is postponed again:

CLEVELAND, OH --- The Cleveland Indians announced today's (April 8, 2007) traditional doubleheader between the Indians and Seattle Mariners has been postponed due to inclement weather and has been rescheduled as a traditional doubleheader tomorrow, Monday, April 9, beginning at 4:05PM. Gates will open at 3:00PM. The second game will begin approximately 20 minutes after the conclusion of the first game.

Maybe the Indians won't play another game until VMart is fully healed. ;-D
bcb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby noren0 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:42 pm

bcb wrote:To clarify, Sunday's DH is postponed again:

CLEVELAND, OH --- The Cleveland Indians announced today's (April 8, 2007) traditional doubleheader between the Indians and Seattle Mariners has been postponed due to inclement weather and has been rescheduled as a traditional doubleheader tomorrow, Monday, April 9, beginning at 4:05PM. Gates will open at 3:00PM. The second game will begin approximately 20 minutes after the conclusion of the first game.

Maybe the Indians won't play another game until VMart is fully healed. ;-D

Let it snow
let it snow
let it snooooooooooooooow !+)
Its only a game
noren0
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Coppermine » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:41 pm

The Indians know V-Mart will miss time this week, but they are confident he will be able to return in 15 days from the retroactive injury. He might go on the DL on Monday, but nothing is imminent.

Looks like it may snow tonight into tomorrow morning, with a game-time temperature of 36 degrees (30 with wind chill).

Could be postponed again.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates