Best heart of the Order? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best heart of the Order?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who has the Best Heart of the Order in Baseball?

Ortiz-Manny-Drew (Boston)
14%
Konerko-Dye-Thome (Chicago AL)
8%
Soriano-Lee-Ramirez (Chicago NL)
12%
Sizemore-Hafner-Martinez (Cleveland)
5%
Holliday-Atkins-Helton (Colorado)
4%
Mauer-Morneau-Hunter (Minnesota)
3%
Rodriguez-Jeter-Abreu (New York AL)
19%
Reyes-Wright-Beltran (New York NL)
28%
Howard-Utley-Rollins (Philadelphia)
6%

Total votes : 153

Postby Lukin13 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:42 am

The topic clearly states it is "heart of the order" and the poll clearly does not list the the 3-4-5 hitters. Not sure that the OP executed very well here, but he sure had a great idea for a topic :-B

Also, for all of the Yankee lovers out there, this is also not a "best lineup" topic. Yes, you have the best lineup, top to bottom in the league. But, the Yankees do not have a top 5, and maybe not even top 10 "heart of the order". The Yanks "heart" will have a harder time getting to 90 homers in '07, than any of my top 5 teams will have getting to 110 dingers. Now the Mets have a few .275 hitters in their "heart" but no one that I listed has a .245 hitter like Giambi. Giambi also has by far the biggest "bust" risk of any player that made my list, and he has to be tied with Glaus and Thomas as players most likely to not reach 450 at-bats in '07.

Again, the WSox are the only team that you can pencil in 40 homers and a .300 batting average across the board. The only knocks I can give Chicago are that Konerko and Dye don't walk and their OBP isn't in line with other MVP canidates, AND they aren't spring chickens. So, I guess you might be able to convince me that the Mets or Rockies are "safer" picks than the White Sox, but you can't say the Yankees have the best "heart" in baseball.
Lukin13
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:54 am

Lukin13 wrote:
Again, the WSox are the only team that you can pencil in 40 homers and a .300 batting average across the board. The only knocks I can give Chicago are that Konerko and Dye don't walk and their OBP isn't in line with other MVP canidates, AND they aren't spring chickens. So, I guess you might be able to convince me that the Mets or Rockies are "safer" picks than the White Sox, but you can't say the Yankees have the best "heart" in baseball.

:-b How can you pencil in 40 homers for Dye? He hit 40 homers once...

His 3 year home run totales are 23, 31, and 44. HE is 33 and coming off a career year.

How can you pencil in a .300 batting for Thome? he hasn't hit .300 since 2002.

How can you pencil in 40 homers for Konerko? He didn't hit 40 last year.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:59 am

thedude wrote:
Lukin13 wrote:

:-b How can you pencil in 40 homers for Dye? He hit 40 homers once...

His 3 year home run totales are 23, 31, and 44. HE is 33 and coming off a career year.

Exactly. And you can call Giambi a risk, but no mention of Thome? Konerko isn't a lock for 40 homers either. He did it twice but he fell off a bit last year. Most projections I've seen have him penciled in for about 35-38 jacks this year. Not to mention the fact that homeruns aren't a great barometer for judging production.

I'm not saying that the Yankees definately have the best heart, but to say the White Sox are the safest pick is absolutely ridiculous. They are very good, but are far from a lock to all put up superb years.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby thedude » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:04 pm

The PECOTA Project EQA for the heart's of the order:

Red Sox:
David Ortiz: .330
Manny: .325
Drew: .303

Yankees:

Jeter: .305
Abreu: .304
A-Rod: .319

Mets:

Reyes: .276
Beltran: .310
Wright: .315

Red Sox > Yankees > Mets

It is not really close.

Plus That isn't the Mets batting order. The Mets bat themselves

Reyes
LoDuca
Beltran
Delgado
Wright
Last edited by thedude on Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby koolhalfski » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:04 pm

I can't participate in this poll until the proper hearts of orders are listed. :-D
HEY NOW!
koolhalfski
College Coach
College Coach

Postby blankman » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:02 pm

Based on actual lineups, NYY if you want to go with best 3 in a row in the lineup (Jeter-Abreu-ARod). Although the actual heart is Abreu-ARod-Giambi.

For the Mets, LoDuca is in between Reyes and Beltran, so that takes Reyes out of the equation.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:23 pm

blankman wrote:Based on actual lineups, NYY if you want to go with best 3 in a row in the lineup (Jeter-Abreu-ARod). Although the actual heart is Abreu-ARod-Giambi.

For the Mets, LoDuca is in between Reyes and Beltran, so that takes Reyes out of the equation.

Half of the voting options aren't the heart and/or aren't players who bat in order. :-b
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby thedude » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:20 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
blankman wrote:Based on actual lineups, NYY if you want to go with best 3 in a row in the lineup (Jeter-Abreu-ARod). Although the actual heart is Abreu-ARod-Giambi.

Half of the voting options aren't the heart and/or aren't players who bat in order. :-b

The Mets, Indians, and Twins players listed don't bat consecutivly
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:32 pm

thedude wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

The Mets, Indians, and Twins players listed don't bat consecutivly

Nor do the Yankees or Phillies.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby Carey Saders » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:01 pm

This thread is annoying since the options aren't the heart. I voted for Red Sox.
Carey Saders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers