Blog - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

Blog

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat May 26, 2007 2:50 pm

In the interest of fairness to Dukes. I am going to do more research and write about it from what i percieve as fair and balanced. I think it is the fair thing to do.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scr » Sat May 26, 2007 3:19 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:In the interest of fairness to Dukes. I am going to do more research and write about it from what i percieve as fair and balanced. I think it is the fair thing to do.

Perhaps you can teach the SPT beat writers and Mr. Neyer a thing or two about presenting the entire story. I'm glad to see you have taken this step. It's refreshing.

For the record, I am not an apologist nor defender of Elijah Dukes. I can't be, as I do not know the man (nor am I privy to the sensitivities of this matter). You have read my posts on this site, and on every occasion, I'd like to think I am simply a defender of the whole truth, regardless of the subject matter.

I did not see a response to my thoughts on the over-reaching Tampa Bay media thread. Do you feel that the negativity does not effect the franchise? Perhaps you are not in a position to comment.

In any event, for what it is worth, you are doing the right thing (IMHO).
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat May 26, 2007 3:35 pm

SCR- Thank You. I withdrew the story b/c i felt it was the right thing to do. I actually was thinking about it before you said something, but once you did it only confirmed my suspicions. At this moment i can't comment on the papers, but i will tell you i do agree with a lot of what you say and there are some people high up in the organization that feel the same way. Stu had to make a call to the Times about being misquoted in the NY Times and explain to them the story b/c they ran with it without talking to him. You do have to play the game as they are the media source for the Bay area so you need to be cognazint of that. I will tell you there is more and more coming in and out about the Dukes story. I have met him and he has 2 sides. I believe a lot if product of his enviroment and growing up the way he did. I feel he needs help on his anger issues, but i am not sure he wants it. He is such a good player i hope that he learns that he will be scrutanized he is an easy target. I also hope he begins to learn that he needs to try and stay away from trouble, if he can he will be a great ball player and a welcomed addition to that team
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat May 26, 2007 4:56 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:In the interest of fairness to Dukes. I am going to do more research and write about it from what i percieve as fair and balanced. I think it is the fair thing to do.

I think that is the honorable thing to do. In fact you guys should be sporting my new Dukes sig that I got made just because of all of this crap.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scr » Sat May 26, 2007 5:03 pm

The quid pro quo or symbiotic relationships that exist between the media and a major league baseball franchise can only succeed when both parties provide services and revenues for the other.

In the instance of the SPT, it would appear that it's beat writers agenda is so detrimental to the health of the franchise that the viability of the Rays could be in question. This agenda, which appears to be harshly evident in the opinions offered by the SPT over the past two years, has ceased to provide any benefit to the Rays. If anything, the SPT could be responsible for certain attendance issues. For instance, would you wish to take your family to a Rays game knowing their DH/CF'er is the poster child for spousal abuse?

Not likely.

If the SPT was fair in it's repeated opinions (there is never a drought of negative opinions "offered" by such high esteemed professionals on their (the SPT) staff), I'd have nothing to say. It is clear to me, an independent outsider, that they (the SPT) have crossed far beyond the line of fair journalism and into the tabloid genre of gossip mongering.

Accordingly, "playing the game" may no longer be an option. Thinking outside the box may require the Rays to commence action of there own. Contacting third party revenue sources of the SPT, stating the case of fair journalism, may provide an incentive to said advertisers to cease doing business with the SPT.

After all, what advertiser wants to be associated with a reckless media outlet? Such an association would put the veracity of the advertiser's product in question.

Sometimes we must stand up and draw the line for fairness-for the sake of the organization, mlb, and ourselves.

As an aside, comparing the Dukes situation with Josh's situation was inaccurate (and unfair) on my part. My apologies to the DFO.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat May 26, 2007 6:04 pm

Andy Sonnanstine article up that i have been working on
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero