Jose Reyes - Most exciting player of all time? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jose Reyes - Most exciting player of all time?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Ender » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:07 pm

one thing for sure hanley ramirez aint hitting 25

Reyes hit 9 HR's his first full year and 19 HR's his second full year.
Hanely hit 17 HR's his first full year.

Not sure how you can look at those players and say Reyes is going to have a ton more power.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:28 pm

Spark-plug type players are great fun to watch and add all sorts of excitement to the game. But they aren't really anything exceedingly uncommon. Maybe he turns into one of those rare players as his career progresses, but he ins't anywhere close yet. To me he isn't even the most exciting player on the Mets team. Beltran can do everything he can do at the plate (and more), almost as much on the basepaths, and can make my draw drop in the outfield with some of the plays he makes.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby fantasyfiend » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:35 pm

Saying Beltran can do whatever Reyes can do on the basepaths is a bit of a reach.

I agree with the rest of your points though.
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby theultimate69 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:41 pm

ChipperJonesFanatic wrote:Jose Reyes wouldn't come across anybodies mind because he plays horrible defense.

Wtf are you talking about... :-?
theultimate69
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DevilDriver » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:09 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Matsuzaka? BJ Upton? You guys are as biased anti as the Mets fans are pro. I have seen A LOT of Upton in Durham and let me tell you, kind sir, Upton ain't no Reyes. Not even close. :)

You are kidding right? He is just as fast on the paths as Reyes is easily. If he plays in 155 games this year for Tampa, he will lead the AL in steals this year, and I don't think Crawford will be within 10 of him. By next year, it would not suprise me if he has a 2006 Reyes year, but the only problem is he plays for Tampa.

I disagree. Upton is very fast, but Reyes and Crawford are both a notch above him in terms of speed.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby SignGuy » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:30 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Mugrila wrote:Call me a homer, but I loved the early Griffey-Arod-Randy Johnson days.

Bonds, Bo Jackson, the Big Mac-Sosa race, all come to mind much quicker than Reyes for me.

Yeah it's tough to get excited about a player who is barely above average at getting on base.

And a liability with the glove.

Reyes is far from a liabilty with the glove. very very far
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby activechamp2006 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:38 pm

Ender wrote:
one thing for sure hanley ramirez aint hitting 25

Reyes hit 9 HR's his first full year and 19 HR's his second full year.
Hanely hit 17 HR's his first full year.

Not sure how you can look at those players and say Reyes is going to have a ton more power.

The difference here is.. With Reye's power it built up. The scouts always talked about how much power he had. In his first full season he showed a little bit of that with nine home runs, and then jumped up to 19. As for Hanley he just went straight to 17, with no indication he should be hitting that many home runs. If we're talking about who's going to be the better player it's really not an argument. Look at Jose Reye's protection. Even if he was to hit 250 he's still going to get 100+runs with 50+sbs. I mean come on now, look at who's hitting behind him. Hanley on the other hand, it seems as though he's going to have to do everything on his own. Besides Mcab Hanley has no help. Good luck with that one buddy ;-D
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:43 pm

I like Reyes better but I do not see any reason why Hanley can't be just as good if not better. Hanley at 22 destroyed what Reyes did at the same age. In fact Hanley's 2006, his rookie season is almost as good as Reyes' 3rd season in MLB. :-?
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Tavish » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:55 pm

fantasyfiend wrote:Saying Beltran can do whatever Reyes can do on the basepaths is a bit of a reach.

I agree with the rest of your points though.

I didn't say that. He can do almost as much as Reyes can. Beltran is one of the best basestealers in history and before he became a 40 HR guy he was almost as prolific as Reyes is at stretching out a triple.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:00 pm

SignGuy wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Mugrila wrote:Call me a homer, but I loved the early Griffey-Arod-Randy Johnson days.

Bonds, Bo Jackson, the Big Mac-Sosa race, all come to mind much quicker than Reyes for me.

Yeah it's tough to get excited about a player who is barely above average at getting on base.

And a liability with the glove.

Reyes is far from a liabilty with the glove. very very far

Unfortunately nearly every metric I've ever looked at points to him being significantly below average with the leather, so you may want to nip your argument in the bud here. ;-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers