Jose Reyes - Most exciting player of all time? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jose Reyes - Most exciting player of all time?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jose Reyes - Most exciting player of all time?

Postby RedWoodTree824 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:19 pm

OK so I was looking at the main MLB page on Yahoo! and I saw a link for this video:

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=207187&cl=2277259&ch=207401&src=sports

I read the caption and heard the argument, and I think even someone considering Jose Reyes as "The most exciting player of all-time" or "The best all around player of our *EDIT* generation" is absolutely INSANE! I don't even have to run down all of the players who have been better than him in history, because I can't and won't type all those names. If he retired today he wouldnt get one Hall of Fame vote.
Last edited by RedWoodTree824 on Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Strong08 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:20 pm

It says our generation not all time.
Strong08
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RedWoodTree824 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:21 pm

Strong08 wrote:It says our generation not all time.

I fixed it, and as for all-time it does say most exciting.
RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby wrveres » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:22 pm

If he played in Colorado or someplace else, nobody east of the Mississippi would even know his name.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby jfg » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:27 pm

wrveres wrote:If he played in Colorado or someplace else, nobody east of the Mississippi would even know his name.

I think that's probably true. I also think you have to put the ball over the fence more often to be considered the most exciting player of our time. I'd go Oritz and Pujols because when they come up to bat you are waiting for them to change the game in one swing. Stealing a base isn't all that exciting 80 percent of the time.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:44 pm

im assuming all of you just look at box scores and say, oh, he went 2-3 3 runs scored and 2 sbs... nice line right? but what you fail to notice by not watchin him everyday is that he drag bunted one of those hits with 1 out, stole 2nd, stole third, n then got sack flied in, all on his speed... n then he scored from first on a hit n run after he walked, n then he got a basehit, where the pitcher balked him the 2nd bc he was afraid of the steal and then scored on the next basehit... thats why hes exciting... bc unlike ortiz and pujols, you cant just look at his boxscore and know exactly what he did to change the game do i need to even mention when he went first to third on a ball that didnt get out of the infield??? exciting isnt always the longball, trust me, from watching almost every game when joses on base, it is hands down the most exciting thing to watch in baseball
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby great gretzky » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:57 pm

its tough to give any "all time" consideration to someone who hasn't exceeded five seasons in a league. I mean christ, for a while there, Kurt Warner was damn exciting and the rams were putting up points like no ones business. Eric Lindros was scoring tons of points, getting in fights, laying down hits etc. Bernard King was incredibly exciting in his own right. (basketball has a disproportionate number of these types).

Point being that its a little early for that talk. Second of all, Reyes is exciting in the academic sense (to me anyway), but as some seem to be hinting, I find players like Pujols, Ryan Howard, Bonds (from a year or two) etc. way more exciting in the visceral sense.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Amazinz » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:59 pm

I'm not going to debate whether or not he's the most exciting player of our generation. But I have been watching the Mets for over 25 years and he is easily the most exciting player I've ever seen play regularly.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:08 pm

Amazinz wrote:I'm not going to debate whether or not he's the most exciting player of our generation. But I have been watching the Mets for over 25 years and he is easily the most exciting player I've ever seen play regularly.

This is pretty much where I stand, too. If you don't watch a player all the time, it's hard to comment on the level of 'excitement' in watching them play. So, none of us are going to have a truly objective stance here. No Excel spreadsheet can help us, either. I'm sure it has to do with being a diehard supporter of the Mets, and getting to see nearly every one of his plate appearances, but Reyes is by and far the most exciting player I've ever seen.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby JTWood » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:10 pm

Just because he bops around and dances funny doesn't make him exciting. It makes him annoying.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers