Burnett for Green? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Burnett for Green?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Burnett for Green?

Postby Matt » Tue May 07, 2002 5:12 pm

I was wondering if I could get some advice from you all? I wrote yesterday concerning my outfield, secificly Cedeno and Alou. I have since been offered a trade. He wants AJ Burnett and will give me Shawn Green. My pitching is as follows. Ishii, Clemens, Burnett, Wood, Colon,Fogg and Moyer. I tried to trade Ishii but he was not sold on him. Do you think that this would be a good trade considering that OF is my weakest link? And why is Green in such a slump, will he come out of it? Not that anyone has a crystal ball but any advice will help, thanks!
Matt

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Tue May 07, 2002 5:31 pm

Sounds like a good deal for you. I'm not entirely convinced that Burnett has solved his control trouble, and with your stellar staff, you won't miss him much. Green should snap out of his slump soon, although not having much protection in the lineup means he probably won't meet the inflated expectations a lot of folks had in him before the season.

If Green continues to underachieve, you haven't lost too much. If he snaps back, you've filled a weak link and gotten a serious steal. I'd definitely make this trade. ;-D

And actually, I like Ishii a bit more than I do Burnett at the moment...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mktgteach » Tue May 07, 2002 7:20 pm

Hold onto Ishii. He has lived up to the hype. As for Florida pitchers, unless their name is Beckett, they scare me. They are very inconsistent. I must say Kudos for having such a great pitching staff. I am jealous.

Green will be solid, just not the stud he used to be when he had other studs in the lineup with him. He misses Sheffield!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby 2times » Tue May 07, 2002 9:26 pm

agreed, snatch green now. burnett decent, but he's not worth what green is, and besides, his arm is getting downright ABUSED in Florirda. He's averageing 109 pitches per start and has thrown 125 pitches twice already this year (ESPN)
2times

Postby Chicago » Wed May 08, 2002 2:41 am

Looks like I'm the only one who disagrees, but I say keep Burnett. Great pitching is a lot tougher to come by than a great outfielder, and Burnett has been great so far this year: 2.54 era, 1.13 WHIP, 5 wins, 43 K's in 49 innings. Burnett is young, 25 years old, so despite his large pitch counts, he should be better equipped than, say, Greg Maddux, to take that pitch count.

The major factor here is that if you trade away Burnett, that leaves your pitching staff with Clemens, Colon, Wood, Fogg, Ishii, and Moyer. While not bad, quite good actually, that staff's has a chance to be a little too erratic for my liking, and could self descruct. While this may be possible for Burnett too, at least that gives you one more option or possible superstar.

Despite his incredible season last year, it's likely Moyer will be an ERA liability with some wins, Ishii a WHIP and ERA liability with lots of K's, Fogg is awesome now but he's still proving himself, Wood's been erratic but pitched an incredible game tonight, Colon has been awesome and should remain so, and Clemens has been merely good. Incredible pitching staff for a real team, a good pitching staff for fantasy, but the goal is to be great.

So to sum up, I say make this trade only if you're DESPERATE for some batting help, or try packaging Ishii with a reliever to give the owner that final push he needs. Of all your pitchers, I believe Ishii is currently the most overvalued.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Postby matt » Fri May 10, 2002 2:29 pm

Well, going off the advice of Arlo I have gone ahead with the trade. I don't think that it hurts me as much as it helps but we will see. It now leaves me with the following.
C:Fick
1st:Helton
2nd:Kent
SS:Batista
3rd:Nevin
OF:Guererro, Green, Hunter
Util:Kearns, Vaughn
Bench:Alou, Cedeno, J Gonzolez
SP:Clemens, Ishii
RP:Rivera, Julio
P:Jimenez, Wood, Fogg and spot starting Colon and Moyer
And Matt Anderson on the DL

One interisting note is that I get one last start from Burnett before he goes to the Enemy... Tonight it will be Burnett against Ishii in Florida. The two pitchers that I could have traded to get Green. After tonight I fully excpect Burnetts arm to detach from his body and fly towards homeplate making his last pitch a HB. J/K I would never wish that on him. More like, I expect Green to come out of his slumber like the Cracken from Clash of the Titans. >:-#

Thanks agian for the advice. This is by far the best venue I have seen for good, quick and friendly advice. I could and expect to become a regular here. ;-D
matt

Postby nkeitt » Fri May 10, 2002 4:05 pm

I guess only time will tell, but it seems to me that an OF with Guerrero and Hunter is hard to call too much of a 'weak link'. How many teams are in your league? I have been struggling all year to find decent pitching after a poor draft in that department (dang automated ranking grrrr...) and I'll tell you I have picked up some decent outfielders off the waiver wire, but very little in terms of good pitching. I hope your choice works out for you, but I probably would have stuck with Burnett.
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Fri May 10, 2002 5:21 pm

Yow - does that make it my fault if it doesn't work out? :-o It's certainly close enough - as the variety of opinion here shows - that it might swing either way, although I still think the odds are in your favor. Hope it works out!

Thanks for the kind words! Glad you're enjoying the site.

And sounds like you'll be glued to the set (or net) watching that pitching matchup tonight! Would have been a good one even without that extra angle, and with it, it looks like a can't miss. Enjoy!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby matt » Fri May 10, 2002 6:02 pm

No worries, I'll take responsibility for my actions. At least publicly..hehe :-> Either way we are both happy with the trade.
matt

Postby matt » Wed May 15, 2002 8:02 pm

An update on this one.. I just traded Green for Ichiro. So Burnett for Ichiro. Thank god the guy with Burnett didn't know about this sleeping trade with a diehard Dodgers fan.
matt

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers