Kaz Matsui could be a great sleeper this year... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kaz Matsui could be a great sleeper this year...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ***** » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:57 pm

pantagrapher wrote:He's not in the Rockies lineup today.

And Jamey Carroll was 3/4, 2 R, 2 BB (though he did have an error--which is rare for Carroll). Kaz and Carroll will share too much playing time for Kaz to be too much of a steal.
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:03 am

several regulars sat today i believe since it was day game after night game.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:50 am

tianyi86 wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
pantagrapher wrote:
elltrain22 wrote:I just looked this up. Ever since Kaz Matsui was acquired by the Rockies here are his stats, then you tell me if he's worth takin a shot on. I would say def' so....

117 ab's-- 41 hits= .350 avg :-B

1 hr :-/

18 rbi's O:-)

23 runs 8-o

8 sb's :-)

bet you didn't realize he has been that good in Colorado. He hits 2nd, and ya know Holliday, Atkins, & Helton will get him in a whole lot. More reason why I am very excited about him.

I was aware of those numbers. But 117 is a pretty small sample. I doubt he bats over .275 if he gets 500 ABs. Aside from that, I think the only category he'll improve in significantly this season is runs scored. And even then not enough to make him worthy of a roster spot in most leagues. I'd remain wary of Kaz.

Hmm... In light of his numbers, I went ahead and pulled one more stat:

2005 BB% (NYM): ~5%
2006 BB% (NYM): ~4%
2006 BB% (COL): ~12%

And continuing the excruciatingly small sample size analysis, his BB% this year is 10%.

Again, it was a small sample size, but a jump in patience like that isn't usually something that players just go through in spurts. Maybe the change of scenery did do him some good. I can't imagine it's the lineup he's in. I mean, nothing against the Rockies, but the Mets have a better offense.

Supposing he does increase his OBP and R stats, I could see him having worth in 14+ team leagues. His utter lack of power will keep him from ever being a starter in a shallow league, though.

See? This is why you don't post your sleepers. :-b

I wholeheartedly believe Kaz just needed a change of scenery. NY ate him up. It happens to alot of guys. Now I think he may reach that potential everyone thought he had when he came over. I see him hitting 12-15 HRs, 100 Runs (Hitting in front of Helton, Holliday, and Atkins will help him with that), 55-60RBIs, 30 SBs, and .285. I've drafted him in the last round of every draft I have with a MI position. And now that I've come on and said that I await the imminant demise of Kaz Matsui.

12-15 hrs? He hit 13 hrs in his entire MLB career, which has 979 ABs. The colorado air can't make a "contact hitter" into a pull hitter.

When he came over from Japan alot of people expected him to be a 20 homers guy. I don't think it's out of the question for him to hit 12 dingers in 500 ABs with Colorado.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby pantagrapher » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:25 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:

several regulars sat today i believe since it was day game after night game.

Good call.
pantagrapher
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mbuser » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:21 pm

doug davis (threw on tuesday) is a lefty. matsui will play vs RHP and carroll will play vs LHP
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby tianyi86 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:33 pm

Therawdawg, there is a difference between expectation and reality. He was expected to hit around 20 hr per season but he hit half of that in almost 1000 ABs. I think the expectation needs to be tempered.

Even though he hits around 30 hrs in Japan, but after watching him play for the Mets for 3 years, he looks more like a slap hitter ala Ichiro than a slugger like Hideki.

Even with the Coors effect, I doubt he will get 10 hrs.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cooner » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:46 pm

the only reason to even consider considering him is the #2 spot in that lineup. If he can hold that slot, I think he'll give nice production as a fill-in or MI spot.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby oscar15 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:09 pm

His position hurts him. Appears to be a lot of young 2b that might put up better numbers than people expected.

M. Giles - Change of scenery - back "home" in SD. Could bounce back

K. Johnson - The kid can hit. If he stays out of a platoon in ATL he should hit double digit HR and score over 80 runs. Not muct of a base stealer

K. Matsui - Reasons already stated

Durham - hitting behind bonds

Add in they hype sourrounding Barfield and Phillips there are several 2b that fall in the "breakout" or "bounce back" category.
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 27)

Postby tianyi86 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:02 pm

oscar15 wrote:His position hurts him. Appears to be a lot of young 2b that might put up better numbers than people expected.

K. Johnson - The kid can hit. If he stays out of a platoon in ATL he should hit double digit HR and score over 80 runs. Not muct of a base stealer

Add in they hype sourrounding Barfield and Phillips there are several 2b that fall in the "breakout" or "bounce back" category.

And add Kinsler on that list, who's well on his way to the 20-20 season that many are talking about.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby oscar15 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:21 pm

And....F. Lopez and BJ Upton both will be adding 2B Eligibility soon.

so...I guess there are any number of 2b you can speculate on

tianyi86 wrote:
oscar15 wrote:His position hurts him. Appears to be a lot of young 2b that might put up better numbers than people expected.

And add Kinsler on that list, who's well on his way to the 20-20 season that many are talking about.
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 27)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers