Kaz Matsui could be a great sleeper this year... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kaz Matsui could be a great sleeper this year...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheRock » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:41 am

I was gonna post this, but I knew people would make fun of me. ;-)

I think he could turn it around this year. Not saying I'd start him at 2B in a 12 team league, but I think he's a great low-cost option at MI. He's my 2 bagger on my Rotohog team because I got him for $2. :-b
Image
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3055
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 16 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: America's Heartland

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:42 am

pantagrapher wrote:
elltrain22 wrote:I just looked this up. Ever since Kaz Matsui was acquired by the Rockies here are his stats, then you tell me if he's worth takin a shot on. I would say def' so....

117 ab's-- 41 hits= .350 avg :-B

1 hr :-/

18 rbi's O:-)

23 runs 8-o

8 sb's :-)

bet you didn't realize he has been that good in Colorado. He hits 2nd, and ya know Holliday, Atkins, & Helton will get him in a whole lot. More reason why I am very excited about him.

I was aware of those numbers. But 117 is a pretty small sample. I doubt he bats over .275 if he gets 500 ABs. Aside from that, I think the only category he'll improve in significantly this season is runs scored. And even then not enough to make him worthy of a roster spot in most leagues. I'd remain wary of Kaz.

Hmm... In light of his numbers, I went ahead and pulled one more stat:

2005 BB% (NYM): ~5%
2006 BB% (NYM): ~4%
2006 BB% (COL): ~12%

And continuing the excruciatingly small sample size analysis, his BB% this year is 10%.

Again, it was a small sample size, but a jump in patience like that isn't usually something that players just go through in spurts. Maybe the change of scenery did do him some good. I can't imagine it's the lineup he's in. I mean, nothing against the Rockies, but the Mets have a better offense.

Supposing he does increase his OBP and R stats, I could see him having worth in 14+ team leagues. His utter lack of power will keep him from ever being a starter in a shallow league, though.

See? This is why you don't post your sleepers. :-b
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Diggs » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:57 am

StlSluggers wrote:See? This is why you don't post your sleepers. :-b

Unless you're fairly confident nobody else in your league visits these boards and you're looking to share the wealth. ;-D
I am a New York Jets, New York Mets, and New York Knicks fan. I know misery like few other sports fans know ...
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 496
Joined: 9 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby number9 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:30 pm

Yeah he changed his approach at the plate since he went to Colorado, there could be something here, as he was a damn good player in Japan.
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 446
Joined: 2 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: far far away

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:37 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
pantagrapher wrote:
elltrain22 wrote:I just looked this up. Ever since Kaz Matsui was acquired by the Rockies here are his stats, then you tell me if he's worth takin a shot on. I would say def' so....

117 ab's-- 41 hits= .350 avg :-B

1 hr :-/

18 rbi's O:-)

23 runs 8-o

8 sb's :-)

bet you didn't realize he has been that good in Colorado. He hits 2nd, and ya know Holliday, Atkins, & Helton will get him in a whole lot. More reason why I am very excited about him.

I was aware of those numbers. But 117 is a pretty small sample. I doubt he bats over .275 if he gets 500 ABs. Aside from that, I think the only category he'll improve in significantly this season is runs scored. And even then not enough to make him worthy of a roster spot in most leagues. I'd remain wary of Kaz.

Hmm... In light of his numbers, I went ahead and pulled one more stat:

2005 BB% (NYM): ~5%
2006 BB% (NYM): ~4%
2006 BB% (COL): ~12%

And continuing the excruciatingly small sample size analysis, his BB% this year is 10%.

Again, it was a small sample size, but a jump in patience like that isn't usually something that players just go through in spurts. Maybe the change of scenery did do him some good. I can't imagine it's the lineup he's in. I mean, nothing against the Rockies, but the Mets have a better offense.

Supposing he does increase his OBP and R stats, I could see him having worth in 14+ team leagues. His utter lack of power will keep him from ever being a starter in a shallow league, though.

See? This is why you don't post your sleepers. :-b



I wholeheartedly believe Kaz just needed a change of scenery. NY ate him up. It happens to alot of guys. Now I think he may reach that potential everyone thought he had when he came over. I see him hitting 12-15 HRs, 100 Runs (Hitting in front of Helton, Holliday, and Atkins will help him with that), 55-60RBIs, 30 SBs, and .285. I've drafted him in the last round of every draft I have with a MI position. And now that I've come on and said that I await the imminant demise of Kaz Matsui.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 819
Joined: 16 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Roy Halladay Bandwagon

Postby CadensDad » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:57 pm

I was his number 1 US fan, I drafted him early and often his first 2 years, Man was I dissapointed, never again
Image

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5977
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kaz Matsui could be a great sleeper this year...

Postby Archduke Chocula » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:15 pm

elltrain22 wrote:Call me crazy, but I picked him up in one of my leagues (while Freddy Sanchez is hurt), and I am kinda excited to see what he'll do. He can steal bases, and ever since he's came to Colorado, he's been doing alot better. Am I crazy, or has anyone else takin notice of this yet???


Everyone laughed at me for this thread, so don't worry about being the lone voice crying out in the wilderness!

BTW, I drafted Kaz in the final round of the Evans 16-team Yahoo league.
Don't tase me, bro.
Archduke Chocula
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 179
Joined: 8 Jan 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kaz Matsui could be a great sleeper this year...

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:20 pm

Archduke Chocula wrote:
elltrain22 wrote:Call me crazy, but I picked him up in one of my leagues (while Freddy Sanchez is hurt), and I am kinda excited to see what he'll do. He can steal bases, and ever since he's came to Colorado, he's been doing alot better. Am I crazy, or has anyone else takin notice of this yet???


Everyone laughed at me for this thread, so don't worry about being the lone voice crying out in the wilderness!

BTW, I drafted Kaz in the final round of the Evans 16-team Yahoo league.

Everyone? I see one person harrassing you, and a couple other singular disagreements. For the most, people in that thread agreed with you.

:-?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby tianyi86 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:54 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
pantagrapher wrote:
elltrain22 wrote:I just looked this up. Ever since Kaz Matsui was acquired by the Rockies here are his stats, then you tell me if he's worth takin a shot on. I would say def' so....

117 ab's-- 41 hits= .350 avg :-B

1 hr :-/

18 rbi's O:-)

23 runs 8-o

8 sb's :-)

bet you didn't realize he has been that good in Colorado. He hits 2nd, and ya know Holliday, Atkins, & Helton will get him in a whole lot. More reason why I am very excited about him.

I was aware of those numbers. But 117 is a pretty small sample. I doubt he bats over .275 if he gets 500 ABs. Aside from that, I think the only category he'll improve in significantly this season is runs scored. And even then not enough to make him worthy of a roster spot in most leagues. I'd remain wary of Kaz.

Hmm... In light of his numbers, I went ahead and pulled one more stat:

2005 BB% (NYM): ~5%
2006 BB% (NYM): ~4%
2006 BB% (COL): ~12%

And continuing the excruciatingly small sample size analysis, his BB% this year is 10%.

Again, it was a small sample size, but a jump in patience like that isn't usually something that players just go through in spurts. Maybe the change of scenery did do him some good. I can't imagine it's the lineup he's in. I mean, nothing against the Rockies, but the Mets have a better offense.

Supposing he does increase his OBP and R stats, I could see him having worth in 14+ team leagues. His utter lack of power will keep him from ever being a starter in a shallow league, though.

See? This is why you don't post your sleepers. :-b



I wholeheartedly believe Kaz just needed a change of scenery. NY ate him up. It happens to alot of guys. Now I think he may reach that potential everyone thought he had when he came over. I see him hitting 12-15 HRs, 100 Runs (Hitting in front of Helton, Holliday, and Atkins will help him with that), 55-60RBIs, 30 SBs, and .285. I've drafted him in the last round of every draft I have with a MI position. And now that I've come on and said that I await the imminant demise of Kaz Matsui.


12-15 hrs? He hit 13 hrs in his entire MLB career, which has 979 ABs. The colorado air can't make a "contact hitter" into a pull hitter.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 701
Joined: 31 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby pantagrapher » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:05 pm

He's not in the Rockies lineup today.
pantagrapher
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 48
Joined: 17 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Chicago

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact