Kaz Matsui could be a great sleeper this year... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kaz Matsui could be a great sleeper this year...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kaz Matsui could be a great sleeper this year...

Postby elltrain22 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:30 am

Call me crazy, but I picked him up in one of my leagues (while Freddy Sanchez is hurt), and I am kinda excited to see what he'll do. He can steal bases, and ever since he's came to Colorado, he's been doing alot better. Am I crazy, or has anyone else takin notice of this yet???
elltrain22
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Diggs » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:37 am

I agree I just don't need a 2B since I have B.Roberts and J.Barfield with M.DeRosa who also has 2B eligibility.

If I wasn't so solid at that position though, I'd have picked him up three days ago when it was announced he won the position. ;-D
I am a New York Jets, New York Mets, and New York Knicks fan. I know misery like few other sports fans know ...
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pantagrapher » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:04 am

I don't see it. He's a career .265 hitter who doesn't steal many bases anymore and has almost zero power. He's on the wrong side of 30. I don't see much to like.
pantagrapher
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:21 am

I'm not buying. He's a league average hitter with below-average OBP and SLG. He's never been the victim of bad luck, so his numbers from the last three years are probably spot on. Sure, finished strong last year with the Rockies, but check out 2005. He finished out 2005 very well, too.

If anything... If there is any value to be had from Matsui... I'd say pick him up September. The only other month where he averages over .800 OPS is July, but that's skewed by his 2004 season.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby mikhayl » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:52 am

Matsui's highpoint is typically his first at bat of the season. We've all missed that now, so it's time to move on.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Diggs » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:16 am

I'm surprised everyone is so down on Kaz this year (as a Mets' fan I should be down on him more then anyone). However, he is batting second in a very potent Rockies' lineup and many expect the offensive numbers in Colorado to "go back to normal" now that the humidor is regulated.

These numbers are totally off the top of my head but I don't see any reason why Kaz can not put up similar numbers to these playing in Colorado and batting second in that lineup:

.278 avg, .333 obp, 82 Runs, 61 RBI, 12 HRs, 19 SB.

He would be a good addition to any owner who can play a MI along with his starting second baseman. ;-D
I am a New York Jets, New York Mets, and New York Knicks fan. I know misery like few other sports fans know ...
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Kaz Matsui could be a great sleeper this year...

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:18 am

elltrain22 wrote:Call me crazy, but I picked him up in one of my leagues (while Freddy Sanchez is hurt), and I am kinda excited to see what he'll do. He can steal bases, and ever since he's came to Colorado, he's been doing alot better. Am I crazy, or has anyone else takin notice of this yet???

i think he is someone to keep an eye on. he was a very good hitter in japan. he stole 8 bags in 32 games with the rockies last year. i think he has the talent to be a solid player. while there arent a lot of great 2b there are a lot of decent 2b. in 12 team leagues i think there are better options at the moment, but if you are hurting at 2b i'd definitely keep an eye on him.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:21 am

Diggs wrote:I'm surprised everyone is so down on Kaz this year (as a Mets' fan I should be down on him more then anyone). However, he is batting second in a very potent Rockies' lineup and many expect the offensive numbers in Colorado to "go back to normal" now that the humidor is regulated.

These numbers are totally off the top of my head but I don't see any reason why Kaz can not put up similar numbers to these playing in Colorado and batting second in that lineup:

.278 avg, .333 obp, 82 Runs, 61 RBI, 12 HRs, 19 SB.

He would be a good addition to any owner who can play a MI along with his starting second baseman. ;-D

In a deep league, sure... He's going to have some value just because he's getting playing time. And don't be upset that people don't agree. You don't want people to agree with your sleeper assessments. Otherwise, the player wouldn't be a sleeper.

:-b

That's why I'm always confused by people posting their sleepers here on the boards. If you want the guy to be a sleeper, keep your mouth shut. Once you post the guy here, he's automatically not a sleeper anymore.

Unless you're posting Kaz Matsui. :-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby elltrain22 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:16 am

I just looked this up. Ever since Kaz Matsui was acquired by the Rockies here are his stats, then you tell me if he's worth takin a shot on. I would say def' so....

117 ab's-- 41 hits= .350 avg :-B

1 hr :-/

18 rbi's O:-)

23 runs 8-o

8 sb's :-)

bet you didn't realize he has been that good in Colorado. He hits 2nd, and ya know Holliday, Atkins, & Helton will get him in a whole lot. More reason why I am very excited about him.
elltrain22
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pantagrapher » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:35 am

elltrain22 wrote:I just looked this up. Ever since Kaz Matsui was acquired by the Rockies here are his stats, then you tell me if he's worth takin a shot on. I would say def' so....

117 ab's-- 41 hits= .350 avg :-B

1 hr :-/

18 rbi's O:-)

23 runs 8-o

8 sb's :-)

bet you didn't realize he has been that good in Colorado. He hits 2nd, and ya know Holliday, Atkins, & Helton will get him in a whole lot. More reason why I am very excited about him.

I was aware of those numbers. But 117 is a pretty small sample. I doubt he bats over .275 if he gets 500 ABs. Aside from that, I think the only category he'll improve in significantly this season is runs scored. And even then not enough to make him worthy of a roster spot in most leagues. I'd remain wary of Kaz.
pantagrapher
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers