When can I expect a turnaround ? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When can I expect a turnaround ?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby eftda » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:29 pm

You took Pujols over Cole Hamles :-b

jk

Your teams looks fine, just wait a few more weeks. Stay ontop of injuries and the waiver wire. ;-D
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shoelessjoetara » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:01 am

bump
shoelessjoetara Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby theultimate69 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:09 am

Just stop.

Seriously.
theultimate69
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheRock » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:28 am

Art Vandelay wrote:Just stop.

Seriously.

You apparently haven't heard this enough.

Seriously, what do you want? Pujols went yard and is back to being the best hitter the world has ever seen, the other guys on your team have either turned it around or will soon just like everyone here told you they would. If you're to the point where you need specific team management advice, there's a forum just for that. We're on the verge of having to award you one of these:

TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:48 am

shoelessjoetara wrote:bump

what???? again?? comn dude

Art Vandelay wrote:Just stop.

Seriously.
Rubber Game Roster
ImageImage
whoseyourdaddy12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Mission: break the curse of the Chicago Cubs in Rubber Game

Re: When can I expect a turnaround ?

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:07 pm

shoelessjoetara wrote:I have a lineup like this:
C Mike Piazza
1B Pujols
2B Cano
3B Aramis Ramirez
SS Peralta
MI Kent
CI Gordon
OF Holiday
OF Rios
OF Sheffield
DH Chris Young

I know it is only the 2nd game of the year but when can I expect things to get better. My team has great pitching also Hernandez,Lackey, Bedard, Hudson, Capuano. It is a 14 team league so all pitching is so so. I am just worried a little looking for
a positive feeling.

While I will echo what everyone else has been saying and tell you that there's not any point in even looking at the standings at this point in the year, I'll also say that there are a couple things you can do.

What you should NOT do is start benching guys who you thought, on draft day, would be very solid for you this season. The reason is that you were probably right; give these guys a season, and they'll put up some studly numbers for you. So don't go benching studs like Pujols, Holliday, Aramis, Sheff, or even solid guys like Cano, Kent, etc.

What you CAN do, though, is think about benching the guys who you thought, on draft day, MIGHT do well, but who you also thought might not do well. These high-risk guys are the ones who you have to be ready to give a quicker hook because you (presumably) didn't have total confidence, even on draft day, that they'd put up great numbers. I would say that Alex Gordon and Chris Young fall into this category for you. Both are great prospects, but they're totally unproven at the Major League level, and even if you're confident that they'll eventually be good, there's no way of telling when that will start to happen. Now, Young's been doing just fine so far, although obviously you should bench him while he's out with this groin injury. But Gordon has seemed absolutely lost out there, having gone 2-for-26, with over 1/3 of his outs coming from K's. I'm not saying that you'd want to drop him, as I do think he'll be good this year, but with a guy who you viewed from the beginning as a high-risk player for this year, it's not a bad idea to bench him until he starts to have a couple good games in a row.

So, I guess what I'm saying is you should stick with your pre-season expectations. If you expected someone to produce solidly for you, then he will - leave him in your lineup. If you expected someone to be good but realized that he's unproven and a high-risk player, then sit him on the bench if he gets into a funk until he shows you that he's out of it. Don't go dropping anyone who had any kind of appreciable value going into the season - that's how you lose leagues. But benching a struggling rookie isn't a bad idea.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rainman23 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:17 pm

I commend you, YanksFan. You're a very patient guy. With the "bump" this thread went from silly to surreal for me. I'm thinking Shoeless Joe has a hell of a sense of humor.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers