Chris Carpenter DL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Chris Carpenter DL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby dundeeslugger » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:04 pm

I would not take Carp. If he doesn't have surgery, bone chips screw up mechanics worse then anything. You can't get full extension when chips are in the way.
dundeeslugger
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby camden » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:55 pm

Some hope for Carp owners:

Carpenter pain-free after latest session
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
04/30/2007

MILWAUKEE -- Cardinals ace Chris Carpenter passed a significant test over the weekend as he attempts to come back from elbow problems that landed him on the disabled list.

After a 60-pitch bullpen session Saturday, Carpenter awoke Sunday with no pain and no stiffness in his right elbow.

He will pitch a simulated game Tuesday -- throwing live to selected batters -- before the Cardinals take on the Brewers in a 7:05 p.m. game.
Got Peavy?
camden Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AllStar215 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:27 pm

MILWAUKEE -- In the midst of dark days for the Cardinals, a little light crept through the roof at Miller Park on Monday.
Ace Chris Carpenter reported that his right elbow is feeling good following a bullpen session Saturday. He'll throw a simulated game Tuesday, and if that goes well, the club may get serious about reinserting the 2005 Cy Young winner into its rotation. Carpenter hasn't pitched since Opening Day due to bone spurs that caused swelling and discomfort in his throwing elbow.

"There was no reaction," Carpenter said Monday. "I threw 60-some pitches the other day in the 'pen, and it feels good. It feels good today like it did yesterday, so I'm looking forward to playing catch today and having my side tomorrow."

Carpenter threw a bullpen session shortly after he first sustained the injury, and he felt fine as he was throwing. The next day, however, the condition recurred, and he shut it down entirely for two weeks. For him still to be feeling good two days after an extensive throw is very good news for St. Louis.

"He feels great," said manager Tony La Russa. "I think it's [Tuesday] he's going to do a workout against hitters, which is all to the good. Hopefully he keeps passing those tests, and if he does, I'm not going to say when, so don't ask, but we've got a date penciled in where he would return to the rotation. So we'll keep our fingers crossed."
AllStar215
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Tue May 01, 2007 1:25 pm

roto is saying next Tuesday. :-° Anyone think that Chris can keep it together for the rest of the season?

:-o

Chris Carpenter-S- Cardinals May. 1 - 10:59 am et

Chris Carpenter's elbow felt great after Saturday's bullpen session and he will throw a simulated game on Tuesday.

"My elbow is doing good," Carpenter said. "No swelling. No nothing. ... There was no reaction." If all continues to go well, Carpenter could return to the rotation next Tuesday.

The rest of the dispatch article:

Carpenter says arm is betterBy Derrick Goold
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
05/01/2007

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument
Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Jschmuck2 » Tue May 01, 2007 2:26 pm

I drafted him in the second round.

I'm wondering about the injury though - what happens to those bone chips...do they just....go away???

Won't he still be in pain when he pitches?
Jschmuck2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dundeeslugger » Tue May 01, 2007 4:07 pm

Jschmuck2 wrote:I drafted him in the second round.

I'm wondering about the injury though - what happens to those bone chips...do they just....go away???

They do not just go away. If the chips are large enough Many times a pitchers release point is altered because he cannot extend fully.
dundeeslugger
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby SweetAurillia » Tue May 01, 2007 4:12 pm

dundeeslugger wrote:

They do not just go away. If the chips are large enough Many times a pitchers release point is altered because he cannot extend fully.

Which is why I've told a lot of ppl in the waiver forums to shop Carpenter if they can get a Cain or above for him. Even if Carp comes back I highly doubt he'll pitch to be worth his 2nd round value this year with those spurs floating around.
[i]For tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today[/i]
SweetAurillia
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Krunk City King$ » Wed May 02, 2007 5:51 pm

SweetAurillia wrote:
dundeeslugger wrote:

Which is why I've told a lot of ppl in the waiver forums to shop Carpenter if they can get a Cain or above for him. Even if Carp comes back I highly doubt he'll pitch to be worth his 2nd round value this year with those spurs floating around.

and if they fall out of the playoff race.......he could get shut down kinda early.

:-o

the latest news:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

http://www.newstribune.com/articles/200 ... cards4.txt

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chalk61 » Fri May 04, 2007 5:03 pm

SweetAurillia wrote:Which is why I've told a lot of ppl in the waiver forums to shop Carpenter if they can get a Cain or above for him. Even if Carp comes back I highly doubt he'll pitch to be worth his 2nd round value this year with those spurs floating around.

What type of player can you expect to get for Carp at this point? I was offered Abreu. Should I take it?
chalk61
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BillyMafia » Fri May 04, 2007 5:07 pm

This just on Sportsline:

Chris Carpenter, SP STL
News: According to MLB.com, Cardinals SP Chris Carpenter (elbow) felt good enough Wednesday after throwing three simulated innings Tuesday that he joined his teammates for some catch. "I got here and I felt good, so I played some catch," Carpenter said. "I'll take (Thursday) off and see how it is on Friday." Carpenter has not pitched in a game since opening day against the Mets. The Cardinals have an open spot in the rotation Tuesday against the Rockies and that could be the day Carpenter returns. "There is a day off (Thursday)," manager Tony La Russa said on Wednesday morning. "I figure he'll throw over the weekend and we'll get serious about next week."
Analysis: La Russa does not believe Carpenter will need to go on a minor league rehab assignment before returning to the rotation. "The way I felt (Tuesday), there's no need for that," Carpenter said of a rehab stint. "But it's up to them." Carpenter could be a candidate to return in Fantasy Week 6 (May 7-13), but track his progress in the coming days before making a roster decision on him. If healthy, we have little reason to think he won't be a must-start ace again.
BillyMafia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates