Position Scarcity Draft Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Position Scarcity Draft Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Jury » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:25 pm

Don't take Piazza that early because he's a second tier hitter in the overall scheme of things, but he's amazing for a catcher as his stats are all fairly close to those of the big boppers.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EugeneStyles » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:31 pm

Taking Piazza in the first round means that you miss a chance at getting someone like Giambi, who hits .330, with 40 HR's, 120 RBI's, and 110 R's. Positional scarcity is important, but I have never and will never recommend drafting based *purely* on positional scarcity. Piazza is worth a 2nd round pick at best, and in most leagues, he *will* go in the 2nd round. If you have a high enough pick in the 2nd round, and you really want Piazza, then take him. If he's still around in the 3rd round, absolutely take him. But very few people will take him in the 1st round. And for good reason. If someone takes him in the first round, remember that you can get IRod or Posada in the 5th round or so. And while Piazza is better than both, he is not *that much* better.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Zoob » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:42 am

Ok...Thanks all.

I've just d/l'ed this mock draft software and I must say, it's totally amazing. I found it in the classified forum here but the link didn't work. I did some digging and found this link that does:

http://www.fantasyinfocentral.com/mlbdr ... /index.php

I tested it using the defaults and drafted Piazza first just to test. I've just gotten my butt kicked for doing so...heh heh. You guys are right!

I've only had the software for a few minutes but it has suggestions on who's left to draft, etc. I think you can add the taken players as your real draft is in progress so you'd have suggestons along the way. You can modify the existing database of players, too. It's set up for the 2003 season but didn't look to see if it included the traded players new home.

Totally cool...a must have! I have no idea what it's doing in the classifieds... ;-D
[color=blue]Coors Field [u]#1[/u][/color]
Zoob
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers