GF's Super-Sleeper Waiver-Wire Pickup is... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

GF's Super-Sleeper Waiver-Wire Pickup is...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

GF's Super-Sleeper Waiver-Wire Pickup is...

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:36 am

Lance Cormier ( 8-o ) SP, ATL

Yep, that's right, I'm predicting big (well, at least "bigger") things for Lance Cormier this year.

"But GF," you say in disbelief, "this guy is about as mediocre as they come! Why would you have any faith in a guy with a career ERA+ of 77, and that coming out of the bullpen!"

Well, the simple answer is this: he's young (still just 26 despite three years of ML service), he's been lights-out this spring and, more impressively, had a strong September as a full-time starter, and finally because there is an actual reason for the success as a starter: Cormier spent time in the minors last year and developed a cut fastball. His spring numbers were ridiculous: a 1.something ERA and a K/BB of like 19/2.

Now let's be reasonable. I'm not expecting him to turn in to a starting version of Mariano Rivera overnight or anything like that. But he's a virtual lock to be on your waiver wire, and I think he'll be able to give you 6 solid innings in front of a strong lineup and one of the best bullpens in the league with probably league-average Ks. And the upside is there for him to have an ERA around 4.

I'm not saying go drop Carpenter (seriously, how long until we get a "what's wrong with Carp?" thread?) for him. Just put him on your watch lists. Give him a start or two, and if he's looking decent (good control, getting Ks, not getting hit too hard), take a flier. He's better than your #7 guy in that ultra-deep 16-teamer you've got, and even in your standard-sized Yahoo! leagues he might be effective.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sid Bream's Slide » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:43 am

His shoulder's been a little sore, but I like the Brave as a super-sleeper pick ;-D
Sid Bream's Slide
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:51 am

I will admit that I know very little about Cormier. What does he throw?
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Coppermine » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:54 am

Yoda wrote:I will admit that I know very little about Cormier. What does he throw?

Cantaloupes B-)
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j24jags » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:02 am

Not a believer unless it's like a 20 team league...
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:10 am

Yoda wrote:I will admit that I know very little about Cormier. What does he throw?
A cutter. :-D

Seriously, I think he's got a changeup and a curve, neither of which are spectacular, although he spots the curve well. He could never throw very hard, which is why using a cutter instead of a straight FB should work better for him. He's spent most of his ML time in the bullpen (either in ATL or ARI) without much success, but he looked decent as a start in the ARI minor league system. His K-rates were never spectacular, but he showed decent control. Since returning to starting in late-August and adding the cutter, his K-rate has spiked and his walks have dropped (they were seriously bad in the majors for most of his career) His hit rate has also fell a bit. So it could just be a case of hitters having to change their scouting report (although he was never really good enough for hitters to focus on too much. ;-)). But I think the new, more effective pitch combined with him just feeling more comfortable starting than relieving are the cause of the new, better numbers. Definitely a guy I'd keep an eye on this April.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers