Kim for Smoltz? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kim for Smoltz?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kim for Smoltz?

Postby Dark Treb » Tue May 07, 2002 4:44 pm

Who would come out ahead? Should I try to deal Kim because of his value reaching a high? What about Odalis Perez?
Dark Treb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Tue May 07, 2002 5:24 pm

Kim for Smoltz sounds about even - a lot more so than it did a couple weeks ago. Still, there's a chance that Mantei could pick up a share of the D-Backs save (unlikely, the way Kim's been pitching, but possible), so I'd probably lean toward Smoltz.

Perez is solid. His value is certainly at a high, so if you want to deal him and get a very good offer, now is the time. If you don't receive an offer that you really like, hang on to Perez - he won't be quite as good as he has been over the full season, but he'll be pretty good.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mktgteach » Tue May 07, 2002 7:15 pm

I have had the same questions about Perez myself. He has not played a full MLB season yet. That benefits him and leaves question marks. The question is if he can stay healthy. He has thrown well over 100 pitches per start. However, since he hasn't played in a full season, alot of hitters haven't seen him live and in person. So, he will benefit from the batters having to get used to his stuff.

I agree to shop him with caution. Unless you get an offer that you cannot refuse, ride him out. It should be a great ride with a few bumps.

As for Kim/Smoltz. Both have questions. Kim has the Mantei factor hanging over his head and Smoltz has to prove he can last w/o getting hurt. The Braves like to use him for 2 innings from time to time. I would think that Kim has a slight edge b/c I see the D'Backs getting a few more wins than the Braves.
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Return to Baseball Leftovers