Chris Duncan not starting? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Chris Duncan not starting?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby p32bars » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:37 am

I thought he should have pinch hit him for Wilson in the 8th with 2 on and no one out. LaRussa may have thought the Mets would have brought in Wagner at that point to face Duncan just b/c of the day off tomorrow and the fact that Wagner probably wouldn't have too much trouble going 2 innings.
p32bars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby j24jags » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:05 am

Taguchi misplayed Delgado's RBI double, not saying he should have caught it, but he could have. He completely muffed that Reyes flyball and he did not look great at the plate either. As for Preston Wilson, last I heard of him he was having knee surgery and setting the record for most Ks in a 3 game series (13-14 in a 3 game set vs Milwaukee last year) :-°

Duncan will be an everyday player soon enough.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swyck » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:20 pm

Cards07Champs wrote:This comes from LaRussa being a tool. His black book says that young lefties cannot possibly improve against lefthanded pitchers, therefore they shouldn't be allowed to try (see: Drew, J.D.)

Wilson and Taguchi have no business making the Royals, let alone a team with playoff aspirations.

In a few weeks, Taguchi and Wilson will be exposed as completely worthless and LaRussa will have no choice but to start Duncan against lefties. Encarnacion will be back soon enough to provide a decent RH bat (against lefties, he sucks against righties), that could free LaRussa up to take a chance by putting Duncan in. Or at least that will be his rationale, nobody could possibly suck any more than Preston Wilson....except for So Taguchi.

Duncan will get his ABs in due time.

Is this tool the defending World Series champion manager? And is this the first time he's seen Taguchi? Why would he discover that he's worthless now as opposed to last year?

I agree that Duncan will see more time, but I'd work under the assumtion that selective platooning along with being pulled for defense at every opportunity is in his near future.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby River Rat » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:39 am

I wonder if Duncan will be in the lineup tonight vs. right hander El Duque??
River Rat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:53 am

River Rat wrote:I wonder if Duncan will be in the lineup tonight vs. right hander El Duque??
He will be.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)

Postby Houser33 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:00 pm

From yahoo:

"Apr 1 Chris Duncan was not in the St. Louis Cardinals' opening-day lineup Sunday night, a nod to New York Mets' starter Tom Glavine.

Advice: Manager Tony La Russa said Duncan, who hit 22 home runs in a half-season as a rookie in 2006, would get the majority of playing time in left field. In the opener, the Cardinals went with So Taguchi in left field instead and Preston Wilson started in right field. Duncan played sparingly against left-handers last year, batting .170 in 47 at-bats with two homers and three RBIs. He hit .318 against right-handers in 233 at-bats with 20 homers and 40 RBIs"

I think it had more to do with Glavine being dominant against lefties than anything...and yea, it is LaRussa after all.
Houser33
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby NittanyLions1 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:25 pm

Duncan doesnt even think he should have started against the lefty! He said something about Larussa gave him a chance in ST to hit them and he couldnt...He couldnt hit lefties last year (.170) and HE STILL CANT HIT LEFTIES so Taguchi starts. That said here is some news that says he wont be sitting much.

News: Chris Duncan, who hit five homers in spring training and 22 last season but didn't play in the season opener against the Mets, will be in left field Tuesday night when the Cardinals play the Mets in the second game of the season. Duncan batted only .170 against left-handed pitchers last season and the Mets started left-hander Tom Glavine. Right-handed batters Preston Wilson and So Taguchi started in the outfield against Glavine and each had a single, but Wilson fanned twice and Taguchi made two fielding mistakes. Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said his choice on Sunday does not mean Duncan is a platoon player. "I said he would be an everyday player," La Russa said. "And that means he's going to play the good majority of the games."
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Coppermine » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:26 am

Bumpity, bump, bump, bump...

Duncan, who was held out of the lineup on Opening Day against left-hander Tom Glavine, got the start and homered off southpaw Wandy Rodriguez tonight. He added doubles in the sixth and eighth. The showing likely will earn him extra starts versus lefties, at least until Juan Encarnacion comes back.

Duncan's been swinging a hot bat lately and has some nice protection in that lineup. I hope this means he will be the everyday player and not get benched occasionally against lefties.

I picked him up, but I'm hoping they don't platoon him when Encarnacion gets back.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:50 am

TLR likes to play the bench more than most managers so he'll still see some days off. It is still unknown when/if Encarncion will be ready to play again. It doesn't sound like his wrist is getting any better.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)

Postby brahner » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:31 am

Does anybody know if Duncan will not start tonight??? I know STL is going up against a lefty tonight, so I guess I'll bench Duncan -- but my luck he'll play and hit 2 HR's!!!

I can't find word on tonight's lineup, so if anybody finds out please let me know, thanks!!!!
brahner Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates