Do You Bench Your "Starters" Vs. Stud Pitchers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do You Bench Your "Starters" Vs. Stud Pitchers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do You Bench Your "Starters" Vs. Stud Pitchers?

Postby Diggs » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:42 pm

I'm come from a fantasy football background and this is only my 2nd year playing fantasy baseball (huge fan though and will play for years to come). Anyway, back to the subject.

If LaDanian Tomlinson is playing vs. the Ravens, no, I do not bench him. He trancends normal strategy. However, if a normal RB #2 is playing vs. the Ravens (a guy like Thomas Jones, Willie Parker, Ronnie Brown, etc), I would consider benching him if I had a suitable back up with a not so daunting matchup.

Do you use this theory in fantasy baseball also? Guys like Pujols, Soriano, ARod, Beltran, etc should start against anyone, anytime. What about a guy who is universally considered a starter on virutally any team he is on, but is not a "superstar," and he is facing Johan Santana, or Roy Oswalt, or Chris Carpenter, etc. Would you "bench" this unnamed starter vs. a stud pitcher like this for an "almost as good" back up who is not going against such a dominant pitcher?

Please weigh in .....
I am a New York Jets, New York Mets, and New York Knicks fan. I know misery like few other sports fans know ...
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Do You Bench Your "Starters" Vs. Stud Pitchers?

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:45 pm

Diggs wrote:Would you "bench" this unnamed starter vs. a stud pitcher like this for an "almost as good" back up who is not going against such a dominant pitcher?

Please weigh in .....

sometimes. it depends more on the stats that i need.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:46 pm

Let's take for an example a player like Scott Rolen (just a random guy off the top of my head). He's a mid-round selection, and he's a starter basically on every team. If you've got Hank Blalock on the bench, and he's facing Carl Pavano, while Scott Rolen is facing Roy Oswalt, then there would be nothing wrong with starting Blalock instead of Rolen for that day. That's just me though. However, if your backup 3b is Rich Aurillia and he's batting .200 in his last 20 games, then no, you do not bench Rolen. Only if you have a solid, capable backup.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:49 pm

i might but only if i have a very favorable matchup on my bench and the starter is somewhat struggling. you never know the stud pitcher could be out of the game late and your guy hits bombs off relievers.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby RJ24VC15 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:52 pm

Well im benching Johnny Damon in the 1st game because he is facing kazmir.
RJ24VC15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dark Knight » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:54 pm

RJ24VC15 wrote:Well im benching Johnny Damon in the 1st game because he is facing kazmir.

:-t
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sportsguy138 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:54 pm

I don't. I'll stick with my big guys and let them produce. You're analyzing it too much, let the better players play and most of the time it'll be better for you.

Don't bench Damon. He's too good of a player to be benched.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 404)

Postby MaudDib » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:57 pm

I usually find it better never to bench your starting hitters. Most starters are going to get their numbers one way or another and playing the match up game usually doesn't do you any good. I have heard people try it with Colorado hitters but I just think it is more work for little gain.

Pitchers on the other hand I will spot start a lot. If I have a #4 or #5 guy pitching against the Yankees or Boston than I will probably let him ride the pine. Where as if I have a guy on my bench who is facing a SP who has a 5+ ERA in his past 10 starts then guess who I will probably be starting.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Diggs » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:57 pm

sportsguy138 wrote:I don't. I'll stick with my big guys and let them produce. You're analyzing it too much, let the better players play and most of the time it'll be better for you.

The Orioles play vs. Johan tomorrow night. If you had Brian Roberts, or Nick Markakis, but on the bench, you had J.Barfield and E.Byrnes facing non-Johan's; are you telling me you wouldn't at least consider benching your Orioles?
I am a New York Jets, New York Mets, and New York Knicks fan. I know misery like few other sports fans know ...
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sid Bream's Slide » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:02 pm

Diggs wrote:
sportsguy138 wrote:I don't. I'll stick with my big guys and let them produce. You're analyzing it too much, let the better players play and most of the time it'll be better for you.

The Orioles play vs. Johan tomorrow night. If you had Brian Roberts, or Nick Markakis, but on the bench, you had J.Barfield and E.Byrnes facing non-Johan's; are you telling me you wouldn't at least consider benching your Orioles?

But Markakis is no Johnny Damon...
Sid Bream's Slide
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers