Yahoo Suggestions (was: Yahoo DL Problem) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo Suggestions (was: Yahoo DL Problem)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:02 pm

Late to this, but I have a few suggestions:

I'd like to be able to access every team's games played and innings pitched information from the front page or standings page (with counting stats, I want to see if the leaders are there because they are running ahead of the curve or not)

I'd like an option from the player list to see:
A) all of a fantasy team's players, not just All Batters or All Pitchers
B) all players from a certain major league team
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:46 am

another nice feature (and maybe they already have this) but i'd like to see how each of my stats line up against all other teams that week

i.e. i lose HR 10-8...am i middle of the pack, did we both just have good weeks and i got the short end, etc

doesnt seem like it'd be too hard to do, just a table showing each stat for all teams that you could sort
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Bwanna » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:57 am

nettles3Ball-star wrote:
samjerky wrote:Hey I've got a great idea for Yahoo that you guys really, really should pick up. At ESPN, it is so much easier to decide who to play and who to bench, because the opposing probable pitcher is listed right there, in brackets, next to the game start time. In H2H leagues, this is really, really valuable. With Yahoo, it's a chore to figure out.

Agreed. After checking into my ESPN league I was just about to come back and right the same thing.

I'd love to be able to see pitcher matchups something like this...

Of course you can get all that info now by clicking a few times for each player, but it would be great to be able to see all of that info at a glance.

(I posted this in a separate thread before I saw this thread, sorry about that.)
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/tbd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 257)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:10 am

Cards07Champs wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
mrider wrote:The drag and drop is actually so lame and terrible. There was really no need to change it. Yahoo has gotten worse since all of these changes. Its slower and its more confusing.

I can tell the product people that drag and drop is "lame and terrible", but I doubt much productive will come of that. If you have more specific/constructive feedback, perhaps I can help.

When you say we've gotten worse since "all of these changes", what are you referring to?

What do you find to be slower?

What are you finding confusing?

One thing I'd REAALY like to see.

Rather than just making an 'innings' limit for pitchers, is there any way Yahoo could make a 'Starts' limit and a 'relief appearances' limit?

Right now, in a points league, closers are just waaaaay overvalued b/c they generally get about 10 points per appearance and only cost you 1 inning. A starting pitcher, in a solid outing, gets about 25 points but does it in 7 innings. So you're looking at less than 4 points per inning rather than 10. Closers are nice, but there's no way they should be 3X more valuable than a similarly talented SP.

It can be compensate for (i.e. lowering the value of saves or limiting relief pitcher slots), but the easiest way seems to be treating pitchers the same as hitters. This setup is akin to limiting ABs by batters rather than games. It seems backwards to me.

I'd appreciate any response you may have to this.

Can't you just tweak your point values??

Mugrila wrote:
EugeneStyles wrote:
re: a view to see everyone's team and where they picked
Draft Central -> Draft Results. That should update after each round of a live draft, or after each save in an offline draft. Is that what you wanted?

That shows each round of the draft. And don't get me wrong, that does help in proposing trades. But it doesn't show each person's team after the draft. Compiling a team-listing from the draft results is fairly time-consuming.

There is a little tab at the top that gives you the option of sorting by round or by team.

And I'm pretty sure for the drafts I've been to when somebody doesn't show up it picks within a second or two when it's their turn. :-)

What does it matter?? We all know that you just pick up 2 players from the WW and offer them for someone's 1st rounder. :-D

samjerky wrote:Hey I've got a great idea for Yahoo that you guys really, really should pick up. At ESPN, it is so much easier to decide who to play and who to bench, because the opposing probable pitcher is listed right there, in brackets, next to the game start time. In H2H leagues, this is really, really valuable. With Yahoo, it's a chore to figure out.

As to pitching limits, I've heard a lot of people complain that H2H is not like real baseball, because you can muck around with the stats - for example, you can really draft hard-core on hitters, try to win all five of those categories, and then never start a starting pitcher, or a closer, but just pick up elite middle relievers at the end of your draft and try to win WHIP and ERA.

Why not keep the competitive aspect which is so fun in H2H but have a 'realistic' H2H option, where you are required to play so many starters each week, required to have so many MRs, and required to have a closer - that is, have roster spots for each of these positions.

These could all be optional to the basic H2H format. But it would be nice to have Yahoo run something like this in a public league so you don't get screwed by private comish's ( :-t ) messing up trades and such.

Also please give me a job at Yahoo.

I'm sure that there are ways around everything but can't you just bump up the minimum IP for each week?? I use 30. You can't hit that with all RP.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Y`s Guy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:17 am

ahhh, I knew this thread existed someplace. Hopefully the Genie is still reading...

1. It would be great to be able to see what the standings were on any given day/week for the past. We can't do that. If I lead the league on Sept 1 I would love to see how the standings were in the past so I can see who the major movers are.

2. In the excellent Players log I know they used to use an 'H' to show when a pitcher got a HOLD. In a players log now all they show for pitchers is the 'W' or 'S'. We should get the 'H' back.

Thanks.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Rounders » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:52 am

Few things...

1) don't mind the $10 charge for stat tracker (it requires many paid people to run this correctly) - like that you only have to buy it once even if you have multiple leagues.

2) There was mention of being able to add/drop players on the same day of games. I set this last year, but the problem is - once that person has played, you can't drop him until the next day. I like the Draft & Trade style where you can add/drop players up to the start of the first game for that day. After the start of the first game, you can still add/drop players, but it would take effect for tomorrow. This could be another option, and wouldn't be too difficult to implement.
Also, I noticed that this option is locked after the draft. You should be able to change this option up until the start of the season, or even all year.

3) More stats to sort by. K/BB and K/9 are stats that I find very useful on other sites.

4) Drag and Drop feature is okay, but what I don't like is that when you switch over to Classic view, when you come back it defaults to Drag and Drop. You should be able to set your view and it should stay that way until you change it again.

5) Allow the commish to change the number of votes to veto a trade.

6) Why the heck is ERA the tie breaker for H2H playoffs? As the commish, I get complaints about this from my league members all the time. We should be able to set what the tie breaker is (I would like it to be H2H record of the teams during the regular season).

7) Keeper league where we can manage the team all year would be great. I don't see why you'd have to get league rules for each league - just allow trading throughout the offseason. When the draft comes, handle it how it's handled now - where it allows you to enter up to 10 players per team.

8) Player pool has to be increased - or at least handle call-ups a lot better. i.e. Jered Weaver didn't get added to Yahoo until several days after his first start, so 2 starts ended up being missed by the time he cleared a 1 day waiver. Or where is Eddie Guardado?

9) I second (or third or something) the idea of having a page that allows you to see every current team with positions. Determining trades gets very difficult when you have to search every team to find who to best trade with, then jump back and forth between your team and theirs (or have multiple pages open).

10) I love that they added a "probable pitcher" option when checking free agency, but I would like to be able to click up to 5 days ahead. So, have a page for each of the next 5 days with the probable free agent pitchers.

11) Stat Tracker - be able to click between leagues like you click between games on Game Channel. Right now, when you click on a different league you have to go through the whole loading process again. If not, at least allow multiple Stat Tracker pages - so that we can have a Stat Tracker page open for each league.
Also, pitch-by-pitch would be nice to see in the Game Channel. And HR and SB would be nice to see with out having to click over to the "Box Score" tab (after all, they are categories in the basic 5x5 league).

That's all for now.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:23 pm

Just a quick note - I do still check in here regularly, and this thread in particular is always of great interest. I don't always comment on every suggestion individually, but many of the ideas here have already been discussed here at Yahoo, some added to our roadmap, and some are already live on the site. Thanks for the feedback...
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby Y`s Guy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:06 pm

Genie, thanks for checking in. Nice to hear that Yahoo still looks to improve on what is the best service out there.

Here's another...on a teams page there are the stat links TODAY, LAST WEEK, LAST MONTH, 2006, 2005.

I never use the 2005 or 2006. And if I am not mistaken that is a spot where OPPONENTS used to be. That was excellent for mapping out lineups for the week. specially for SPs. The OPPONENTS link is now buried within the Extras tab. It's no biggie to click a few times to get to OPPONENTS but it was great to have on the team front page.

Piece!
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby talldarkandnerdy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:28 pm

I would also like to show support for getting the Trading Block put on the front page and having a way to see the players on all teams on one page.

There are several other ideas which I would love to see too (like keeper leagues), but I'm aiming low and letting Yahoo work its way up.
talldarkandnerdy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Rounders » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:Genie, thanks for checking in. Nice to hear that Yahoo still looks to improve on what is the best service out there.

Here's another...on a teams page there are the stat links TODAY, LAST WEEK, LAST MONTH, 2006, 2005.

I never use the 2005 or 2006. And if I am not mistaken that is a spot where OPPONENTS used to be. That was excellent for mapping out lineups for the week. specially for SPs. The OPPONENTS link is now buried within the Extras tab. It's no biggie to click a few times to get to OPPONENTS but it was great to have on the team front page.

Piece!

On the same note, I think "Last two weeks" is the best judge of how someone is doing, and would like to see that added as an option for settting rosters and looking up free agents. That option has been available on other sites I've used, and I think it's the most useful because it gives you an idea of who's hot right now, but the "Last Week" can be skewed a lot by one good day.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers