Dice-K suffering from arm fatigue. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Dice-K suffering from arm fatigue.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dice-K suffering from arm fatigue.

Postby guffee » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:34 pm

Update: Matsuzaka struggled with control (four walks) for the second consecutive spring start on Saturday, and Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell acknowledged the pitcher is feeling some arm fatigue, the Boston Globe reports.

Recommendation: Matsuzaka skipped his bullpen session between his last two starts, but did throw a side session on Thursday. "Like other guys, he's going through fatigue -- I'm not going to call it 'dead arm,' " said Farrell, who thought Matsuzaka was trying to be too perfect and overthrew some pitches. "He's in a stage of conditioning that he's in it [fatigue] now, versus where Josh Beckett and Curt Schilling may have gone through it [earlier]." Matsuzaka will make his regular season debut on Thursday against the Royals.

Dice-K haters, rally!

I don't like the sound of this simply because I had Schmidt and Halladay when they went through this and they were gawd-awful. Could Dice-K be done before he even has the chance to show what he can do? Should we be worried?
guffee
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:05 pm

The arm "fatigue" is problematic but, beyond that, he's not going to succeed in the AL East allowing 4 walks every six innings or so. ST stats mean little overall but you'd expect SP to be throwing strikes by now.

If you recall, one of Matsuzaka's weaknesses -- that got buried in the hype -- was that he couldn't always find the K zone. In Japan, that's not much of an issue because they don't "work the count" over there like they do here.

If indeed, that's a continuing weakness, he won't be successful regardless whether his arm is weak or not.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ScrappyDoo » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:38 pm

wheres the link. I find it hard to believe considering you have only 9 posts and post this info with no link, it is april fools day
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Carraway » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:47 pm

ScrappyDoo wrote:wheres the link. I find it hard to believe considering you have only 9 posts and post this info with no link, it is april fools day

I think this is it:

http://www.rotowire.com/roto_to_gnews.h ... &sport=mlb
Carraway
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby dmendro » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:40 am

He pitched more pitches then anyone else in spring training. He'll be fine. He doesn't pitch again til thursday, and it's against the royals. :P
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Noggy » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:31 am

Secret Avatar wrote:If you recall, one of Matsuzaka's weaknesses -- that got buried in the hype -- was that he couldn't always find the K zone. In Japan, that's not much of an issue because they don't "work the count" over there like they do here.

If indeed, that's a continuing weakness, he won't be successful regardless whether his arm is weak or not.

You sure about that? Sure he had walk problems in his first three years, but he's had that under control since 2002. And taking a quick look at guys like Hideo Nomo, Kaz Sasaki, Hideki Irabu and Kaz Ishii, it doesn't appear the move from Japan to America had much of an impact on their walk rates. In fact they walked less.

That being said, I'm not that high on Matsuzaka, but it's not because I think he'll walk too many guys.
Noggy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Treebeard's Nuts » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:32 am

Did you know that he pitched a 18 inning game in high school championship tournament....with 250 pitches. That is sick!
Twelve equals a dozen...Get it right bakers!
-- Stephen Colbert
Treebeard's Nuts
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby number9 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:29 pm

Yeah sikkk. He's got a rubber arm. The high school tournaments destroy many arms, but some genetic freaks come out of it thriving, and Matsuzaka's one of those rare ones.

Anyways, let's see how he does in the regular season.

NPB stats
http://japanesebaseball.com/players/pla ... yerID=1104
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jlm53089 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:08 pm

:-° ....
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby idealFX » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:41 am

dice-k for president.

and maybe cy young... if santana catches cancer or something.
"I dont know who the Royals will have in centerfield now that Estebean German took one in the mouth on a fly ball. Probably Kerry Robinson which means that the Royals start with one out every 3 innings."

-Perlick
idealFX
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates