Thoughts on Slamming Sammy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Slamming Sammy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Slamming Sammy

Postby Madbomber » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:43 am

Do you guys think Sosa can have a good year as DH for the Rangers in the 5 hole? Would he be worth a utility or backup OF spot?
<img src="http://www.playboy.com/on-campus/mascot/imx/leadmascot.gif">
Madbomber
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 309
Joined: 26 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crushing a Pitch Out of the Park!!!

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:45 am

Depends on if he corks his bat or not this year :-b

But really, I just don't buy into the Sosa hype. I know he's hitting the ball well this spring, but seriously, this is Sammy Sosa we're talking about. I dont think he has anything left, and I don't think he'll do much for fantasy owners this season.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1961
Joined: 2 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The good old Midwest

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:46 am

i hope so. i used a 12 wavier on him.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 6508
Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: City of Grigori

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:47 am

Think Jeromy Burnitz. If that turns you on, Sammy is your man.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3134
(Past Year: 233)
Joined: 30 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CPHFighter1 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:05 am

sportsaddict wrote:I know he's hitting the ball well this spring, but seriously, this is Sammy Sosa we're talking about


Sosa hit over 60 HR three times. Corked bats and illegal substances aside, he was (or maybe still is) a talented hitter.

I could see 30 + HR with a .250-.260ish average as his ceiling. That is if he doesn't have any violent sneezing accidents and keeps himself healthy. He's only 38, and Giambi bounced back from the juice to become a 250ish hitter capable of 30+. Not that Sosa juiced, just making a random observation. ;-7
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 316
Joined: 7 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:08 am

CPHFighter1 wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:I know he's hitting the ball well this spring, but seriously, this is Sammy Sosa we're talking about


Sosa hit over 60 HR three times. Corked bats and illegal substances aside, he was (or maybe still is) a talented hitter.

I could see 30 + HR with a .250-.260ish average as his ceiling. That is if he doesn't have any violent sneezing accidents and keeps himself healthy. He's only 38, and Giambi bounced back from the juice to become a 250ish hitter capable of 30+. Not that Sosa juiced, just making a random observation. ;-7


Sosa hasn't been really productive in 2 or 3 years now. Last year he didn't even play, 2 years ago he did basically nothing, and 3 years ago his career started to decline even though he did hit 35 bombs. I just don't think he has anything left in him. He's been steadily declining for years now and I just don't see him making an impact in fantasy this year.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1961
Joined: 2 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The good old Midwest

Postby DSheppard » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:44 am

sportsaddict wrote:Sosa hasn't been really productive in 2 or 3 years now. Last year he didn't even play, 2 years ago he did basically nothing, and 3 years ago his career started to decline even though he did hit 35 bombs. I just don't think he has anything left in him. He's been steadily declining for years now and I just don't see him making an impact in fantasy this year.


we are talking waiver wire pickups here, not 3rd rounders.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1310
Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball


Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Izenhart and 11 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Apr. 19
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi Cubs at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(1:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Cincinnati
(1:08 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(1:35 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(2:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(2:20 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Miami
(4:05 pm)
indoors
NY Mets at NY Mets
(7:05 pm)
Atlanta at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(7:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(7:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at LA Dodgers
(8:05 pm)
Arizona at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
San Diego at San Diego
(8:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Francisco
(8:40 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact