Tpoic Reply Notifications? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Tpoic Reply Notifications?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tpoic Reply Notifications?

Postby menyak » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:54 pm

DHC told me that some (or all of you guys?) aren't getting topic reply notifications. Guess that's not so good, is it? :-?

Could you guys maybe help me gather some evidence? What I know so far:

Problem has started on Thursday, guys affected include DHC, HOOTIE, Lofunzo and wrveres. Arlo and me get them alright.

Hint: All of them (DHC, HOOTIE, Lofunzo and wrveres) have AOL/Earthlink email addresses (I believe those two companies are linked, aren't they? :-? ). Did I ever mention that AOL sucks? Anyway, that's the hottest theory so far (the only one at that).

Anyone else getting or not getting reply notifications?

Sorry for the late reply, some problems over here, hard drive crash (my private one), cold/flu, etc... X-I
"Never argue with an idiot. People won't know who's who."
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Tpoic Reply Notifications?

Postby wrveres » Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:25 am

menyak wrote:DHC told me that some (or all of you guys?) aren't getting topic reply notifications. Guess that's not so good, is it? :-?

Could you guys maybe help me gather some evidence? What I know so far:

Problem has started on Thursday, guys affected include DHC, HOOTIE, Lofunzo and wrveres. Arlo and me get them alright.

Hint: All of them (DHC, HOOTIE, Lofunzo and wrveres) have AOL/Earthlink email addresses (I believe those two companies are linked, aren't they? :-? ). Did I ever mention that AOL sucks? Anyway, that's the hottest theory so far (the only one at that).

Anyone else getting or not getting reply notifications?

Sorry for the late reply, some problems over here, hard drive crash (my private one), cold/flu, etc... X-I

I've had no real problems. I sent a PM to Lofunzo and he said he didn't get it. no biggee. thats it.
as a side note... while it was in my 'outbox' I went and edited it ..karma ya know .. :-) not sure if that had anything to do with it :-o
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1146)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:05 am

I am getting mine now..... :-? ...don't really know what the problem was....probably the wonderful internet service provider I am using.... :-/
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby menyak » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:00 pm

Infortuntately it's really difficult to decide. :-? To elaborate in detail... Actually I'm the only one who can mess with our server, and since I didn't have internet access on Thursday, I have the perfect alibi. :-° :-D Leaves two possibilites I can think of:

- Our provider made a security update for some of the software. Could be the source of such a problem, but very unlikely for several reasons. If it's the cause, I would expect _nobody_ to receive notifications.

- One or several providers "improved" their spam filters. Since reply notifications (just like spam) are automatically generated mass mail, they are sometimes treated like spam if a filter is configures badly.

Might or might not be true - but those are the only two possibilities I can think of.
"Never argue with an idiot. People won't know who's who."
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:00 pm

menyak wrote:Infortuntately it's really difficult to decide. :-? To elaborate in detail... Actually I'm the only one who can mess with our server, and since I didn't have internet access on Thursday, I have the perfect alibi. :-° :-D Leaves two possibilites I can think of:

- Our provider made a security update for some of the software. Could be the source of such a problem, but very unlikely for several reasons. If it's the cause, I would expect _nobody_ to receive notifications.

- One or several providers "improved" their spam filters. Since reply notifications (just like spam) are automatically generated mass mail, they are sometimes treated like spam if a filter is configures badly.

Might or might not be true - but those are the only two possibilities I can think of.

DING DING DING. We have a winner. In AOL, I clicked MAIL - SPAM FOLDER and there were 23 messages waiting for me. :-D

This is strange. AOL must have changed something because I have never changed a thing and this just started happening.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Madison » Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:09 pm

Well, well, well.......That's interesting. :-? Nice call Menyak! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:13 pm

Like Lofunzo I had a bunch of them in my SPAM folder....Here is the solution I used to get around it....And I started getting the replys again....I added mailto:webhamster@fantasybaseballcafe.com to my address book.....the SPAM filters should not block any address that is in the AB....atleast that is the only thing I have changed so far.... :-)

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:16 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:Like Lofunzo I had a bunch of them in my SPAM folder....Here is the solution I used to get around it....And I started getting the replys again....I added mailto:webhamster@fantasybaseballcafe.com to my address book.....the SPAM filters should not block any address that is in the AB....atleast that is the only thing I have changed so far.... :-)

And it works. ;-D I just got a notification of this thread. :-)

Now, all that I have to do is flush this AOL 9.0 disk down the toilet. :-P
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:20 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Now, all that I have to do is flush this AOL 9.0 disk down the toilet. :-P

Lo...I don't know if you are having anyother problems with 9.0.....but this one is not caused by it......I have 8.0 and HOOTIE has an older one than that.....It is an update that AOL has done to their servers... :-/

DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:22 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Now, all that I have to do is flush this AOL 9.0 disk down the toilet. :-P

Lo...I don't know if you are having anyother problems with 9.0.....but this one is not caused by it......I have 8.0 and HOOTIE has an older one than that.....It is an update that AOL has done to their servers... :-/

It might be something else but ever since I have installed 9.0, I have been having AOL problems. It locks up all the time. I usually wait for later disks to come out so they can fix the glitches but didn't wait this time.
Lofunzo

Next

Return to General Talk