CBSSportsline article trashes Holliday and gives no reason - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

CBSSportsline article trashes Holliday and gives no reason

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

CBSSportsline article trashes Holliday and gives no reason

Postby sportsaddict » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:37 pm

The Garrett Anderson ("so underrated, he's overrated"): Matt Holliday may or may not put up another line like last year's .326/34/119, depending on whether the Coors Field mad scientists decide to humidify the game balls, dehumidify them or soak them in pickle brine. He's no longer much of a secret, though, and even a slight drop-off could make him an eighth-round value at a third-round price.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10096812

That's an excerpt from a Larry Dobrow article on CBS sportsline, and it makes absolutely no sense. First of all, he gives no reason for why he believes Holliday will regress. He never even says that he thinks he will not have as good a year as last year, all he says is that Holliday is basically going too high in drafts. Last time I checked, .326/34/119, coupled in with some steals and the Coors advantage is worthy of 3rd/4th round selection. This guy thinks Holliday's numbers put him around the 8th round? That's crazy.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: CBSSportsline article trashes Holliday and gives no reas

Postby jbauer2485 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:52 pm

sportsaddict wrote:
The Garrett Anderson ("so underrated, he's overrated"): Matt Holliday may or may not put up another line like last year's .326/34/119, depending on whether the Coors Field mad scientists decide to humidify the game balls, dehumidify them or soak them in pickle brine. He's no longer much of a secret, though, and even a slight drop-off could make him an eighth-round value at a third-round price.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10096812

That's an excerpt from a Larry Dobrow article on CBS sportsline, and it makes absolutely no sense. First of all, he gives no reason for why he believes Holliday will regress. He never even says that he thinks he will not have as good a year as last year, all he says is that Holliday is basically going too high in drafts. Last time I checked, .326/34/119, coupled in with some steals and the Coors advantage is worthy of 3rd/4th round selection. This guy thinks Holliday's numbers put him around the 8th round? That's crazy.

Ridiculous. What the hell kind of "slight" drop off puts him in round 8?
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mak1277 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:58 pm

Probably a "slight" drop-off means .290-25-90...which is probably 8th round value for an OF.

But you could easily say that about anyone. I agree that there is no reason to suspect a fall-off like that from Holliday.[/quote]
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby byfrcp » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:02 pm

Later in the article this comes up...

The Don Mattingly After 1989 (worst expenditure of a first-round draft pick): David Wright will almost certainly match his 2006 numbers, and even better them if he remains conscious during the second half of the season this time around. He has extremely well-trimmed sideburns and I wish neither him nor the Met organization any particular harm. Still, there's a deeper pool of third-base candidates this year than any time in recent roto memory. Wright is a star, but he ain't 20 rounds better than Akinori Iwamura or Kevin Kouzmanoff.

Runner-up: The difference between Travis Hafner and a late-round DH/utility-slot guy isn't as profound as the difference between Joe Mauer or Brian McCann and a late-round catcher. Until Pronk qualifies at an actual defensive position for roto purposes, he's a waste of a top-15 pick.

Imagine having say 11th pick in a draft and ending with Wright, Hafner, and Holliday after the first 3 rounds. This guy would say that's a bad start. And I'd say this guy's a moron.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby TMB » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:29 pm

byfrcp wrote:
Imagine having say 11th pick in a draft and ending with Wright, Hafner, and Holliday after the first 3 rounds. This guy would say that's a bad start. And I'd say this guy's a moron.

Incredible. That's exactly my three round team.
you can go to hell, I'm goin to Texas
TMB
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Tis » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:59 pm

I think he just wants to skip the first 4 rounds...
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Syler » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:30 pm

Wright is a star, but he ain't 20 rounds better than Akinori Iwamura or Kevin Kouzmanoff.

He most certainly is 20 rounds better than a career minor leaguer and a mediocre Japanese bat.

This guy sounds like a complete moron. After Hafner and Ortiz, the UTIL spot really drops off. And how is a .300 average, 40+ HR, and 110+ RBI a waste of a Top 15 pick??

I don't see Holliday regressing, I only see him improving(.320, 38 HR 125 RBI)

This is why you shouldn't trust most experts...

One more thing, the dropoff from Mauer to McCann is barely a dropoff...
Syler Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby godallahstar » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:11 pm

Syler wrote:He most certainly is 20 rounds better than a career minor leaguer and a mediocre Japanese bat.

you mean the career minor league who continues to hit at every level, and lead the minors in slugging last year?

and the mediocre japanese bat that over the last 3 years has averaged 35 home runs?
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ctt8410 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:08 pm

godallahstar wrote:
Syler wrote:He most certainly is 20 rounds better than a career minor leaguer and a mediocre Japanese bat.

you mean the career minor league who continues to hit at every level, and lead the minors in slugging last year?

and the mediocre japanese bat that over the last 3 years has averaged 35 home runs?
ctt8410
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:51 pm

I like Kouzmanoff as much as most people and I do think he is worth a bit more than he gets credit for.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers