sox vs. yanks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

sox vs. yanks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:44 pm

The better analogy is the Cold War with each side spending whatever is necessary to defend against and vanquish the other. You do understand that in NY and Boston, hatred of the opposition cities team starts in infancy and is passed down from generation to generation?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pkarr5000 » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:45 pm

what about the mentality? (not to be corny)
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby timkell » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:58 pm

Greenrider wrote:
pkarr5000 wrote:he has a good point. nomar and manny, their two best offensive weapons have to be down now. that says a lot. look at what miggy did last year compared to the year before when his team wanted him

I'm not sure I buy this...generally, the big myth that everyone subscribes to is that players play harder in their contract years, and while I think it's a fallacy, stating the exact opposite is hardly any more accurate.

Basically, there's no evidence whatsoever of contract status impacting player performance one way or another.

I agree, Greenrider, which is why I still said both Manny and Nomar are upgrades over Jeter and Matsui. Sure, Nomar and Manny are pissed, but if they stay, they'll play and play well.

Still, if the Sox don't get Arod, and they don't re-sign Nomar, and nothing's resolved and Nomar's still an unhappy camper when April rolls around, that will be a major distraction the team doesn't need, and we don't really know what the ramifications could be. Manny's fine, most likely. No one pays attention to him anyway.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby timkell » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:00 pm

mikcou wrote:right now I think I would take anyone over Lieber... The guy is old and hasnt pitched in 2 years and is coming off major arm surgery. Kim probably will be traded anyway and Arroyo will get a chance to start...

And you're happy about this? Right now, I'd take Wells over Lieber, but Lieber could surprise. So he's more a bonus anyway. Wells was pretty awesome last year, esp for a number five starter.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby timkell » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:03 pm

Madison wrote:Another Sox vs. Yanks debate!? :-B I hadn't seen one of these in awhile. Lol. :-b

Here's the solution: Have Steinbrenner and Epstein call Selig and demand that both teams play each other 162 times next season. That should end the debate on which team is better next year. ;-)

I'd vote for this!

:-D
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers