Have 1st pick in draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Have 1st pick in draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Have 1st pick in draft

Postby vladrules » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:15 pm

1st time I've ever had the #1 pick in baseball.

Kind of disappointed bc I'd rather draft 6 or 7 so can get Utley, MCab and then Hafner or Sizemore. At least I'll get Pujols in his age 27 year. I'll probably miss out on Holliday.

Should I still draft Teixeira (thought I'd get him in RD3)?

Who should I consider with 24th and 25th pick? I normally don't draft SP until round 8 - 10 but if Carp still there at 24 do I take him? I was hoping for Peavy or Webb in late 3rd. Maybe AJones (contract year) and 2B (shallow)

I'm assuming Tejada and Jeter are still there. I usually don't like taking old players so do I pass on the them and grab BHall (RD 4). Or wait for FLopez, Tulowitzki, SDrew, Khalil, BCrosby.
vladrules
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:45 pm

the guy in my league that got pujols went 2nd rollins, 3rd webb and seems like a decent idea. if teix is there i dont see a prob taking him 2nd, if you want holliday or sizemore your going to have to reach a bit to get them im sure. you may be suprised with what falls to you coming back and considering you have 2 picks in a row should be able to make a solid move
10 team,H2H,5x5
C-Montero
1B-A.Gonzalez
2B-Utley
3B-Longoria
SS-Reyes
1B/3B-Morneau
2b/SS-K.Jonhson
OF-J.Upton,CarGo,Pierre
UTL-Rasmus
P-Hamels,Nolasco,W.Rodriguez,Garza,Wagner,Aardsma
BN-Span,Slowey,Liriano,E.Santana,Gregg, Pelfrey, Street
DL-B. Anderson
sadlyajetsfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby vladrules » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:41 pm

In what round should I draft Pedro?

Thinking of grabbing Zumaya after Papelbon as my #2. What round?

FCord, CCord, Lidge, Fuentes, Gagne, Wickman, Julio, Wainwright, Izzy Dotel still available.
vladrules
General Manager
General Manager

Postby vladrules » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:47 pm

Sorry, I meant for my #2 RP. We'll be going to round 12& 13
vladrules
General Manager
General Manager

Postby vladrules » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:49 pm

Correction Zumaya (Shields or Broxton) as 3rd and 4th RP: There's Lidge, FCord, TJones, Fuentes, TJones (take Zumaya ahead of TJones?) Benitez (looked good), Saito, Valverde, Dotel (good spring)
vladrules
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Have 1st pick in draft

Postby pope » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:20 pm

vladrules wrote:1st time I've ever had the #1 pick in baseball.

Kind of disappointed bc I'd rather draft 6 or 7 so can get Utley, MCab and then Hafner or Sizemore. At least I'll get Pujols in his age 27 year. I'll probably miss out on Holliday.

Should I still draft Teixeira (thought I'd get him in RD3)?

Who should I consider with 24th and 25th pick? I normally don't draft SP until round 8 - 10 but if Carp still there at 24 do I take him? I was hoping for Peavy or Webb in late 3rd. Maybe AJones (contract year) and 2B (shallow)

I'm assuming Tejada and Jeter are still there. I usually don't like taking old players so do I pass on the them and grab BHall (RD 4). Or wait for FLopez, Tulowitzki, SDrew, Khalil, BCrosby.

I don't understand taking Bill Hall in the 4th. Not at all. To me, the first 10 rounds should be about drafting reliable players. You really can't argue with the consistency that Jeter and Tejada put up every year, even if they are a few years older.

With your second and third picks, you should take best player available. By taking BPA, you have to keep in mind all relevant categories. I'd target one guy who gets stolen bases (like jeter, ichiro, etc..) and the best power bat avail (Tex, Berkman, C. Lee, A. Jones etc..).
If you draft two first basemen in the first three rounds, you will probably have to take an outfielder with one of your next two because of position scarcity.

I am not a big fan of drafting starting pitching early because they are more inconsistent from year to year than position players.
pope
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hookem2003 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:30 pm

I got holliday in the mid 3rd of a 12 team last week, so he may be there. I also suggest BPA the first 3 rounds. If you started, say, Pujols, Tex, Holliday then you have a great foundation to build around.
hookem2003
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BritSox » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:37 pm

Are you seriously grouching about getting Pujols? Man.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:42 pm

I'm very confused here. You wanted Hall in the 4th? Zumaya ahead of a bunch of closers? Why worry about Pedro? Get guys you can actually use first. And as BritSox said, complaining about the 1st pick. I'm sure if you hate it so much you could have found someone who would have traded their spot with you...most guys would rather have #1.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers