For those that use holds. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

For those that use holds.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

For those that use holds.

Postby kentx12 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:08 pm

I found this on Yahoo this morning and thought I would share. If you are like me it might help.

Ryan Madson

Mar 29 According to the Philadelphia Enquirer, Madson will be used as a setup man for Phillies closer Tom Gordon. "When you look at our bullpen, he's the ideal guy for the eighth inning," manager Charlie Manuel told the newspaper. "And he's also a guy who could step in and close for us if we needed."

I know his ratios arent good but what I like about him is that you can use him in a SP spot.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Holds from the SP/RP eligible pitcher

Postby Bajecco » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:28 pm

Yes. Juan Cruz is in a similar situation in Arizona. I picked him up for that reason. Kerry Wood may also be good for this is his shoulder ever heals.
Bajecco
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GradysBaby133 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:02 pm

Depending on how many roster spots you have, take a look at Tom Mastny. Roberto Hernandez will begin the season as the SU man, but Mastny is the closer of the future, and will slowly move to the back of the pen. He should be the SU man by mid May at the latest IMO. I think he should get a good 20 holds or so assuming he dosn't take over the closers role.
GradysBaby133
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Holds from the SP/RP eligible pitcher

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:30 pm

Bajecco wrote:Yes. Juan Cruz is in a similar situation in Arizona. I picked him up for that reason. Kerry Wood may also be good for this is his shoulder ever heals.

Cruz won't be pitching the 8th, however.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Juan Cruz

Postby Bajecco » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:48 pm

Correct. It will be rare for Cruz to pitch the 8th, but it will happen now and then. He will get 15 holds by accident just like a couple dozen other long RP's. The advantage he has is the SP eligibility so you can keep him in the lineup for the occasional hold, win and K's he gets. Obviously you should not carry him if your league has a small or even regular size roster. My league has 12 owners with 30 man rosters so guys like Cruz can be very useful.
Bajecco
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Juan Cruz

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:22 pm

Bajecco wrote:Correct. It will be rare for Cruz to pitch the 8th, but it will happen now and then. He will get 15 holds by accident just like a couple dozen other long RP's. The advantage he has is the SP eligibility so you can keep him in the lineup for the occasional hold, win and K's he gets. Obviously you should not carry him if your league has a small or even regular size roster. My league has 12 owners with 30 man rosters so guys like Cruz can be very useful.

To be honest, I think you are nuts. Cruz has never had more than 3 holds in any season ever in his lifetime. He's got 6 holds lifetime.

He's a very good pitcher, and I had him on my roster for quite a while last year, but he's just not likely to stack up a lot of holds. His most likely role is as a 6th SP and long reliever, which means he'll come in when the SP has blown it and the D'backs are in a hole early in the game. Medders, Lyon, Pena, and Slaten will get the lion's share of holds for the D'backs.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers