Cubs Closer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cubs Closer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby negola_d » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:43 pm

dooz wrote:If Howry was the only lefty in the pen, I could understand Dempster getting a long leash. Cotts and Eyre are shaky, at best, but they should be fine lefty specialists.

Basically, I'm with the rest on this. If Dempster struggles, Howry should get the job pretty quickly.


Howry throws righthanded.
negola_d
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 337
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:53 pm

jfg wrote:Howry is a much better pitcher against left handed batters. He's 3.71 against righties 1.91 era against lefties. I don't think that adds up to a great closer. As a closer he'll have to face righties a lot more than he would as a setup man.


That's exactly why, in a way. His numbers are so good because of the situation he's used for. If he was used like Dumpster is, you'd have 2 giant headaches. At least Dempster has shown he can be successful in the role before. :-o
Last edited by Chrisy Moltisanti on Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1536
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: 6 feet under

Postby rainman23 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:31 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
CPHFighter1 wrote:
How do you get ERA numbers split between LH batters and RH batters? With it always switching per batter, it seems like this isn't the best statistic.


:-? you can get them readily at any major site. its an official statistic of major league baseball.


Yeah, it's certainly a readily available split. I've always wondered too, though, how in the hell they derive it. Like the other poster says -- you don't come in today and just face right handers. And then come in another day and face lefthanders. You're facing both, typically. If I come in and give up a double to a lefty, and then a double to a righty, which side gets credit for the earned run? Beats me, but either way it's not meaningful. Does anyone actually know the details behind this calculation?
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 937
Joined: 19 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:35 pm

rainman23 wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
CPHFighter1 wrote:
How do you get ERA numbers split between LH batters and RH batters? With it always switching per batter, it seems like this isn't the best statistic.


:-? you can get them readily at any major site. its an official statistic of major league baseball.


Yeah, it's certainly a readily available split. I've always wondered too, though, how in the hell they derive it. Like the other poster says -- you don't come in today and just face right handers. And then come in another day and face lefthanders. You're facing both, typically. If I come in and give up a double to a lefty, and then a double to a righty, which side gets credit for the earned run? Beats me, but either way it's not meaningful. Does anyone actually know the details behind this calculation?


ERA is not available (edit- is not possible to properly and accurately derive, somehow MLB.com thinks they can, but STATs inc. -yahoo etc - cannot) based on LHB/ RHB splits. :-°

Howry
Image
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1536
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: 6 feet under

Postby godallahstar » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:42 pm

Heh,
it is available on MLB.com but seems like a pretty worthless stat.
Although someone like Scott Olsen does have a pretty big difference.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 588
Joined: 9 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: minneapolis

Postby mrkrab2003 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:25 pm

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
rainman23 wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
CPHFighter1 wrote:
How do you get ERA numbers split between LH batters and RH batters? With it always switching per batter, it seems like this isn't the best statistic.


:-? you can get them readily at any major site. its an official statistic of major league baseball.


Yeah, it's certainly a readily available split. I've always wondered too, though, how in the hell they derive it. Like the other poster says -- you don't come in today and just face right handers. And then come in another day and face lefthanders. You're facing both, typically. If I come in and give up a double to a lefty, and then a double to a righty, which side gets credit for the earned run? Beats me, but either way it's not meaningful. Does anyone actually know the details behind this calculation?


ERA is not available (edit- is not possible to properly and accurately derive, somehow MLB.com thinks they can, but STATs inc. -yahoo etc - cannot) based on LHB/ RHB splits. :-°

Howry


so someone should tell the guy who said

"That's exactly why. His numbers are so good because of the situation he's used for. If he was used like Dumpster is, you'd have 2 giant headaches. At least Dempster has shown he can be successful in the role before."

he was wrong.
mrkrab2003
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 347
Joined: 31 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:08 pm

wrong about what?

Realize Dempster saved 17 games in a row without giving up a run in Aug/Sept '05. 22.3 scoreless IP in a row, k rate over 9, whip under 1. Did wonders for my h2h team. ;-)
Image
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1536
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: 6 feet under

Postby mrkrab2003 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:17 pm

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:wrong about what?

Realize Dempster saved 17 games in a row without giving up a run in Aug/Sept '05. 22.3 scoreless IP in a row, k rate over 9, whip under 1. Did wonders for my h2h team. ;-)


you said howry was only good when facing lefties based on the left vs right era figures (bogus stat). when clearly howry is just as effective vs righties
mrkrab2003
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 347
Joined: 31 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:34 pm

mrkrab2003 wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:wrong about what?

Realize Dempster saved 17 games in a row without giving up a run in Aug/Sept '05. 22.3 scoreless IP in a row, k rate over 9, whip under 1. Did wonders for my h2h team. ;-)


you said howry was only good when facing lefties based on the left vs right era figures (bogus stat). when clearly howry is just as effective vs righties

Yeah, he has a better career WHIP and BAA against righties than lefties.

edit: This isn't directed at Christy since he never said that about the lefty/righty numbers.
Last edited by teddy ballgame on Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11485
Joined: 7 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Beantown

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:04 pm

mrkrab2003 wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:wrong about what?

Realize Dempster saved 17 games in a row without giving up a run in Aug/Sept '05. 22.3 scoreless IP in a row, k rate over 9, whip under 1. Did wonders for my h2h team. ;-)


you said howry was only good when facing lefties based on the left vs right era figures (bogus stat). when clearly howry is just as effective vs righties


No I said his numbers look so good because he's used situationally. I failed to read the quotees entire post !+)

Obviously I disagree with rhb/lhb splits. We must both have a problem reading today.
Image
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1536
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: 6 feet under

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Millhouse and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Aug. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Houston at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
Cleveland at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Detroit at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Washington
(4:05 pm)
LA Angels at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Atlanta at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
San Francisco at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
San Diego at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact