I have the feeling Boston's playing Texas for a fool - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I have the feeling Boston's playing Texas for a fool

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I have the feeling Boston's playing Texas for a fool

Postby nsulham » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:30 am

After baseball commissioner Bud Selig yesterday put the kibosh on the Red Sox' attempt to restructure the back end of Rodriguez' deal, Sox president and CEO Larry Lucchino declared in a statement that the proposed trade between the clubs is dead, and reports that negotiations are continuing are inaccurate.

However, as one Red Sox source said, ``If the Red Sox declare the deal to be dead, (Rodriguez' agent Scott) Boras has a miserable client and (Texas owner Tom) Hicks still has multiple problems, like his finances, his manager, his shortstop, his general manager and his team. The Red Sox can still win the World Series without Rodriguez. Not Texas. We actually can afford for this deal to be sincerely dead.''

The Sox, however, do not want the deal to die. They simply want the Rangers to revive it.

Rangers general manager John Hart shared none of Lucchino's morbid outlook in a press conference in Texas. ``We still have the possibility of making a trade,'' Hart said. ``I'm sure there still might be some conversations between Tom and the Boston people.''

The simple fact is that ALL parties are too far gone into this thing for a deal NOT to happen. The public posturing by the Sox that the deal is dead is just a ploy to see Hicks sweat it out and lower his demands. Guess we'll see just how eager Hicks is to get out of that hole.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:33 am

I totally agree. If the deal doesn't happen then Boston and Texas have some serious problems on their hands.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 451)

Postby trevisc » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:34 am

so does baseball!

I think there will be mutiny with the MLBPA!
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:36 am

I think the pressure is on Hicks--it's his mistake, and he should be happy that he's found anyone to take on that contract. And he wants a pitcher, plus $25 million to boot? Right. The Sox will walk away from that. The thing is, Nomar and Manny will play hard next year; Nomar knows nothing else, and will be in a contract year, and Manny is oblivious to everything--he just hits.

Hicks needs this more than the Sox, and I think Lucchino's comments are an attempt to send that message. Hart is the one saying that the deal is still there...
Last edited by Transmogrifier on Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby nsulham » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:45 am

Transmogrifier wrote:I think the pressure is on Hicks--it's his mistake, and he should be happy that he's found anyone to take on that contract. And he wants a pitcher, plus $25 million to boot? Right. The Sox will walk away form that. The thing is, Nomar and Manny will play hard next year; Nomar knows nothing else, and will be in a contract year, and Manny is obivious to everything--he just hits.

Hicks needs this more than the Sox, and I think Lucchino's comments are an attempt to send that message. Hart is the one saying that the deal is still there...

All nail on the head points Transmo. ;-D

Plus Hicks is looking at a miserable player, a guy who doesn't want to be there, STILL a large debt and a PR nightmare if he DOESN'T make the deal.

It's almost like he knows he got suckered the first time around when he basically bid against himself for A-Rod and now he's trying to do a 180 and make suckers of the Red Sox. Like he's trying to make good in his mind for the A-Rod signing or something.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:21 pm

Wow. 8-o

That's about all I can say.

Was Texas in trouble at the end of the year? No, and they have cut payroll by $30 million. I don't get how people think that they are in trouble. A month or two ago the Rangers had zero interest in trading Arod. Now because of all the talk of a deal, they are in trouble if they don't trade Arod? That makes no sense at all.

As to an unhappy Arod, he's one of the most professional athletes out there, so there is no concern about him going out and doing his job each and every single day.

Amazing how much things get twisted over trade talks.

Transmogrifier wrote:he wants a pitcher, plus $25 million to boot? Right. The Sox will walk away form that.

I said the Sox would be dumb to take that deal a month ago and a few people said I was way off base. Interesting............

Transmogrifier wrote:Hicks needs this more than the Sox,

I agree that the trade would probably be more beneficial to the Rangers than the Sox. Both teams would be better if it happened though. :-)

Pogotheostrich wrote:I totally agree. If the deal doesn't happen then Boston and Texas have some serious problems on their hands.

How? Boston still has a contending team, and Nomar/Manny will do their jobs every day. Arod will do his job, and the Rangers will be like last year. All hit, no pitch. The way the division is shaping up though, they might not finish last this year. ;-)

Nsulham wrote:now he's trying to do a 180 and make suckers of the Red Sox.

How is he trying to make "suckers" out of the Sox? Hicks is trading away the best player in baseball and getting stuck with an extra year of guaranteed pay in the process. He's also not saving that much money by trading Arod, contrary to popular belief. Manny gets $20, Arod gets $25. Arod's a free agent in 4 years if he's unhappy, Manny's guaranteed for 5 more years. No sense in letting himself just "give away" the best player in baseball for nothing.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:23 pm

I just read that again, and it seems a little harsh to me. Wasn't supposed to, just debating some issues. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:25 pm

Manny play hard??

Yeah until he jogs out his 1st grounder. Play Hard? How about playing hurt for once?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:46 pm

The problems I was talking about is that Manny, Nomar and A-Rod have all been shown the door. If this doesn't happen there is going to be some hard feelings. You can say that they are professionals athletes but from what I have seen professional athletes are very proud and tend to hold grudges. I'm not saying they won't preform but it is going to make for a very difficult working environment.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:55 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:The problems I was talking about is that Manny, Nomar and A-Rod have all been shown the door. If this doesn't happen there is going to be some hard feelings. You can say that they are professionals athletes but from what I have seen professional athletes are very proud and tend to hold grudges. I'm not saying they won't preform but it is going to make for a very difficult working environment.

True. There will be some unrest in the clubhouses of both teams. I agree with that. I still think both teams will be fine if the trade doesn't happen though. ;-) We'll see.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers