is BJ Ryan hurt? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

is BJ Ryan hurt?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

is BJ Ryan hurt?

Postby frank69m » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:11 am

Does anyone think he will go on the DL because of his back and what about his performance this year?
frank69m
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Big Train » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:49 am

Doesn't sound like anything to worry about...

John Lott, National Post
Published: Friday, March 30, 2007

DUNEDIN, Fla. - B.J. Ryan wasn't exactly fretful, but he admitted he carried a little apprehension into his first game in more than two weeks.

When it was over, the Blue Jays all-star closer was joking with pitching coach Brad Arnsberg in the bullpen. He was also confident that his back problem is history.

"I kind of didn't know what it was going to be like," Ryan said after a pitching a perfect inning in a Double-A game yesterday. "I hoped it would turn out to be good. I felt comfortable out there and I felt like I stayed in control. I didn't really jump out and miss very bad. It was a good day."

He induced a ground ball, a strikeout and a pop-up while throwing all of eight pitches. Then he threw 12 more in the bullpen to work on spotting his breaking ball.

Ryan had not pitched in a game since March 11. His next assignment comes tomorrow in the Jays final exhibition game.

As for that long fallow period, he said he tried not to think about the possibility that he would lose his edge.

"I just continued to work hard and do what I was able to do in the weight room and keep on doing my arm [conditioning] so I wouldn't lose any strength that I had built up to that point," he said. "I think I did a pretty good job."

Ryan had 38 saves and a 1.37 ERA last year.

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/bas ... e7&k=72233
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Another Blown Save » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:21 pm

He pitched in a official ST game (1 inning, 2 Ks), so he will ready for opening day
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Return to Injuries & Player Updates